Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calorie Problem

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    Ok, Im stuck half way through this problem. heres what i got:

a hyopthetical substance A_2 reacts with B_2:

3 A_2 + 4 B_2 --> 2 A_3 B_4

delta H = ??? kcal/mole A_2

1 mole of A = 56.4g
    1 mole of B = 29.6g

when 15.6g of A_2 and an excess of B_2 react in a calorimeter that contains 0.00186 mL of water, the water temp changes from 23/5 celsius to 86.7 celsius. What is the delta H of the reaction in kcal/mole?

I approached this by first solving for q , then divide it by mole. But im not sure if i solved for the mole correctly because i multiplied 56.4g by 6 since its "3 A_2". Also, after i get the answer, am i suppose to divide it by 3 because in the reaction, the coefficient for A_2 was 3, that doesn't match with what the answer wanted, which is kcal/ mole A_2. (coefficient is 1) Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, did you notice that A is bimolecular, as in A2? In addition, you are right to include its coefficient in calorimetric calculation, since 3 moles of A2 reacts with an excess of B2. One mole of A2 is equal to 2*56.4=112.8 grams. Be careful...

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that [itex]q_{reaction} = -(q_{solution} + q_{calorimeter}) [/itex]. [itex]q_{solution}[/itex]refers to water and you should know what [itex]q_{calorimeter} [/itex]represents. In the end simply divide [itex]q_{reaction}[/itex] by the molar quantity of the limiting reagent, than use factor labeling using the coefficient ratio of [itex]\frac{moles lim reagent}{moles rxn} [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?