Calorimetry and Enthelpy Ice Lab

In summary, the lab procedure involved finding the mass of a Styrofoam cup, adding warm water and recording its temperature, adding ice and recording the lowest temperature obtained, and finding the final mass to determine the mass of the ice added. The data collected included the initial and final mass of the cup with its contents, initial and final temperature of the water, and specific heat capacity of water. Using the equation Q=mct, the heat lost by the warm water and the heat gained by the water formed from melted ice were calculated. The energy used to melt the ice was found by adding the two values together. The task of finding the molar heat of fusion of ice in joules per gram and joules per mole remains unclear.
psav5

Homework Statement

This was the procedure for the lab:

Find the mass of the Styrofoam cup. Half fill it with warm water at a temperature of about 50 degrees C. Determine the mass of the water and the cup. Dry off some small pieces of ice with the paper towel. Record the temperature of the water. Quickly place the ice into the water and stir it until all the ice has melted. Record the lowest temperature obtained by the water. This may be a minute or so after all the ice has melted. Find the final mass so that the mass of the ice added can be found.

This was the data I collected:

Initial mass of cup in grams: 2.19g
Mass of cup with warm water in grams: 140.61 grams
Final mass of cup with contents in grams: 164.02 grams
Initial temperature of water: 69 C
Final temperature of water: 49 C
Specific heat capacity of water: 4.18 J/g/C

These are the questions I need to answer:
1. Calculate the following using q=mct
a) the heat lost by the warm water
b) the heat gained by the water formed from the melted ice

2. With the above two values in mind, how much energy was therefore used to melt the ice?

3. Knowing the mass of the ice used, calculate the molar heat of fusion of ice in J/g and in J/mol.

I have no idea how to do numbers 2 and 3.
Anything helps!

Homework Equations

I'm just going by what I think I'm supposed to use.

Q=mct -- to find heats

Delta H = n * delta H(r) -- I think this is related to molar enthalpy some how??

Q absorbed + Q released = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. a) To find the heat lost by the warm water.

mass = 140.61 - 2.19
= 138.42 g

delta t = 49-69
= -20 degrees celsius

c = 4.18 J/g degrees Celsius for water

Q = mct
= (138.42)(4.18)(-20)
= -11 571.912 J -- the heat lost by the warm water

b) Mass of ice water: 164.02 - 140.61 = 23.41 g

Delta t: 49 - 0 = 0 degrees C

c = 4.18 J/g/C
Q = mct
= (23.41)(4.18)(49)
= 4794.84 J -- the heat gained by the water formed by the melted ice

2. Q absorbed + Q gained = 0

-11 571.912 + 4794.84 = 0
-6777.08 = 0

Therefore, the energy needed to melt the ice was 6777.08 J.

I'm not quite sure if any of these are right...and question 3 doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It takes a certain amount of heat to turn 1 g of ice at 0 degrees C to 1 g of liquid water at 0 degrees C. This amount of heat is known as the heat of fusion. It appears that you are to calculate this value in joules per gram and also in joules per mole. You do understand that the phase change from solid to liquid occurs at constant temperature?

Likes 1 person

1. What is Calorimetry and Enthalpy?

Calorimetry is the measurement of heat transfer, while enthalpy is the measurement of heat content in a system. In this lab, we will be using calorimetry to measure the enthalpy change during the melting of ice.

2. How does a calorimeter work?

A calorimeter is a device used to measure heat transfer. It works by using an insulated container to hold the substances being measured, and a thermometer to track the temperature changes. The change in temperature is then used to calculate the heat transfer.

3. Why do we use ice in this lab?

We use ice because it undergoes a change in state from solid to liquid, which allows us to measure the enthalpy change during the melting process. This makes it easier to calculate the heat transfer and determine the specific heat capacity of the substance being melted.

4. What is the purpose of this lab?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the specific heat capacity of a substance by measuring the enthalpy change during the melting of ice. This information is important in understanding the behavior of substances and their ability to store or release heat energy.

5. How accurate is the data obtained from this lab?

The accuracy of the data depends on the precision of the measurements and the carefulness of the experimenter. It is important to follow the instructions and use proper technique to minimize errors. Additionally, repeating the experiment and taking an average of the results can help improve the accuracy of the data.