1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calorimetry copper pot problem

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    Hey whats up,
    I am stuck on the following problem.

a copper pot with mass of 0.5kg contains 0.170kg of water at a temperature of 20C. A 0.250kg block of iron at 85C is dropped into the pot. Find the final temperature assuming not heat loss.

Ok, so Here is what i was thinking about doing:

Qwater + Qiron + Qcopper = 0

i know the initial temperature of the system, 20C. i also know the temp of the Iron block. so...How do i find the final T? Q = mc(Delta T), the delta T part is where im confused. How do i set up the equation so i can solve for Tfinal? Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Your equation is set up correctly.

[tex] \Delta T = T_{final} - T_{initial} [/tex]

Just use the idea of

[tex] m_{copper}c_{copper}(T_{final} - T_{initial copper}) + m_{water}c_{water}(T_{final} - T_{initial water}) + m_{iron}c_{iron}(T_{final} - T_{initial iron}) = 0[/tex]

Use Distributive of product with respect to addition property, then factor the T final.
  4. May 1, 2005 #3
    Sweet...thanks a lot man.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?