Calorimetry CuSO4 question

• Thread starter member 508213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimetry
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calorimetry to measure the heat of formation of a substance. The speaker asks if the temperature will still change when an insoluble substance is placed in water, and the responder explains that without a chemical reaction, there will be no change in temperature. They also clarify that heats of formation refer to compounds being formed from their elements, not being dissolved in solution. The temperature change can provide information about the process occurring, but only if there is a chemical or physical process happening.
member 508213
If I am doing calorimetry, I know that if I put something like CuSO4 in water it will dissociate and the water will change temperature...

But if I put something insoluble such as BaSO4 in water, will the temperature still change and will I be able to find it's heat of formation.

It's probably an obvious answer I just don't remember, thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If there is no chemical reaction, there is nothing that could change the temperature. Okay, you still have the mechanical energy of the material sinking to the bottom, but that is completely negligible.

The temperature may change just from the physical contact between the solid and liquid simply through conduction of heat. In general correlating temperature changes with chemical or physical processes requires knowledge about what processes are occurring during the temperature change. If there is no chemical or physical process occurring then the temperature change is not giving you information about that process.

Also heats of formation refer to compounds being formed from their constituent elements, not being dissolved or dissociated in solution. These values are typically tabulated as standard heats of formation in various thermodynamic tables.

1. What is the purpose of a calorimetry CuSO4 question?

The purpose of a calorimetry CuSO4 question is to determine the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction involving the compound CuSO4. This information can be used to calculate the enthalpy change of the reaction.

2. How is the calorimetry CuSO4 question conducted?

The calorimetry CuSO4 question is conducted by mixing a known amount of CuSO4 with water in a calorimeter and measuring the change in temperature. This change in temperature is then used to calculate the heat released or absorbed by the reaction.

3. What is the significance of using CuSO4 in calorimetry experiments?

CuSO4 is commonly used in calorimetry experiments because it is a highly soluble compound that undergoes exothermic reactions when dissolved in water. This makes it a suitable substance for determining enthalpy changes.

4. How is the enthalpy change calculated from a calorimetry CuSO4 question?

The enthalpy change is calculated by using the equation q = mcΔT, where q is the heat released or absorbed, m is the mass of the solution, c is the specific heat capacity of the solution, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The enthalpy change can then be determined by dividing q by the number of moles of CuSO4 used in the reaction.

5. What are the potential sources of error in a calorimetry CuSO4 question?

Potential sources of error in a calorimetry CuSO4 question include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete dissolution of CuSO4, and inaccurate measurements of mass and temperature. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to obtain accurate results.