Calorimetry: mix of ice, water vapor inside a copper container

In summary, the water vapour releases heat as it transitions from vapour to liquid, and the ice releases heat when it transitions from solid to liquid. The heat is released in a proportional manner according to the respective amounts of heat released by the individual components.
powerof

Homework Statement

We insert into a copper container (weighing 1.5 Kg) 3 Kg of water vapour at 100 ºC. Inside the container there are 10 Kg of ice at -10ºC. Find the ΔT when the system reaches the equilibrium.

Known data: the specific heats of water, copper and ice and the latent heat of ice and water vapour.

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that ΔT is equal for all the components when the equilibrium point is reached, therefore:

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}Q_{absCopp}+Q_{absIce}=Q_{relsVapour}
\\ \Delta T=\frac{Q_{abs(Copp)}}{m_{Cu}c_{Cu}}=\frac{Q_{abs(Ice)}}{m_{ice}c_{ice}}=\frac{Q_{rels(Vapour)}}{m_{vapor}c_{vapor}}

\end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

I don't know how to proceed. The changes of state confuse me. Please give me some clues.

Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
powerof said:
We know that ΔT is equal for all the components when the equilibrium point is reached

All the components have the same Tfinal at equilibrium, by definition. They have different Tinitial's. What does this tell you about their ΔT's?

It would mean that ΔT=Tfinal-(-10ºC) for copper and for ice (assuming the copper and ice have the same temperatures) and ΔT=100-Tfinal for water vapour.

The amount of heat Q released by the water vapour is Q1+Q2=Q(vapour) where Q1=mcΔT(vapour) [the usual formula] and Q2=mL(vapour) [the total heat released after the complete phase transition, ie, condensation].

Similarly for the ice we would have the heat absorbed when going from -10ºC to 0ºC and then the heat absorbed when going from solid to liquid.

But this is assuming that both phase transitions are complete, but how do I know that? Also, how is the heat released from the condensation distributed? I mean how much of that heat is used to warm and melt the ice and how much to warm the container?

Last edited:
powerof said:
It would mean that ΔT=Tfinal-(-10ºC) for copper and for ice (assuming the copper and ice have the same temperatures) and ΔT=100-Tfinal for water vapour.

The amount of heat Q released by the water vapour is Q1+Q2=Q(vapour) where Q1=mcΔT(vapour) [the usual formula] and Q2=mL(vapour) [the total heat released after the complete phase transition, ie, condensation].

Keep in mind that the specific heat of water is different before condensation (when it's still vapor) and after condensation (when it's now liquid).

Similarly for the ice: the specific heat is different before melting (when it's still ice) and after melting (when it's now liquid).

But this is assuming that both phase transitions are complete, but how do I know that?

I don't know a way to decide this in advance. Maybe someone else has an idea. However, if this assumption is incorrect, you should get a nonsensical value for Tfinal. (Hint: this assumption means that all the water ends up as liquid.) Then you can change your assumption and try again.

Writing in LateX is somewhat tiring, so I scanned the paper on which I did my calculations for you to read, if you don't mind:

http://imgur.com/a/eUIyp#0

The result appears to make sense (~90ºC) so that's reassuring.

It looks like you've accounted for all the different Q's, and you're fairly close. However, for heat of vaporization of water, I have 2260 J/g = 540 cal/g, not 500; and for specific heat of copper, I have 389 J/kg-K not 398.

As a check on the arithmetic, you can calculate all the Q's separately, using your final temperature, and verify that they add up correctly.

Well, the accurate values of the constants are the least of my concerns. I'm not dealing with a real world problem so I don't need precision. As long as I understood it conceptually, I'm happy. Thank you for your help.

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the scientific measurement of the amount of heat transferred during a physical or chemical process. It involves using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure changes in temperature and calculate the amount of heat energy exchanged between a system and its surroundings.

2. How does calorimetry work?

In the context of a mix of ice and water vapor inside a copper container, calorimetry works by measuring the change in temperature of the system over time. The heat energy from the water vapor and ice will be transferred to the copper container, causing its temperature to increase. By monitoring the temperature change and using the known heat capacities of the substances involved, the amount of heat exchanged can be calculated.

3. Why is a copper container used in this experiment?

Copper is a good conductor of heat, meaning it can easily transfer heat energy from one substance to another. This property makes it an ideal material to use in calorimetry experiments, as it allows for accurate measurement of heat transfer. Additionally, copper is a relatively inert substance, meaning it will not react with the water vapor or ice and alter the results of the experiment.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calorimetry measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calorimetry measurements, including the insulating properties of the calorimeter, the initial and final temperatures of the substances, and any heat losses to the surroundings. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain reliable and accurate results.

5. How is calorimetry used in real-world applications?

Calorimetry has many practical applications, such as measuring the calorie content of food, determining the specific heat capacity of materials, and studying chemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals and energy to optimize processes and ensure product quality. Additionally, calorimetry is used in environmental science to study the effects of heat transfer on ecosystems and climate change.