1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calorimetryis my answer right

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.10 kg piece of copper at an initial temperature of 95°C is dropped into 0.20 kg of water contained in a 0.28 kg aluminum calorimeter. The water and calorimeter are initially at 15°C. What is the final temperature of the system when it reaches equilibrium?
    M(w) = 0.20kg
    Cp,(w) = 4186J/kg°C
    M(Al) = 0.28kg
    Cp,(Al) = 899J/kg°C
    T(w) = T(Al) = 15°C
    M(Cu) = 0.10kg
    Cp,(Cu) = 387J/kg°C
    T(Cu) = 95°C

I'm confused because usually there is just the water and the substance, but now theres the aluminum calorimeter to account for. I'm not sure what to do..do I still use the Qw= -Qx approach? If so, do I add the aluminum info to the water info...someone else seemed to do it that way, but he and i got answers differing by about 1 degree.

2. Relevant equations

-Q(Cu) = Q(Al+w)

3. The attempt at a solution

[cp(cu)] [M(cu)] [ΔT(cu)] = [cp(al) + cp(w)] [M(al) + M(w)] [ΔT(al and water)]
    (-387)(0.10)(Tf-95) = (899+4186)(0.28+0.20)(Tf-15)
    Tf=16.77 degrees C

**Before, I made the right side negative (Q al+W) and got 16.25, almost the same thing, so I don't know if that matters, or if I did the math wrong. Anyhow, is my above work correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2
    YES!

Not quite. Instead, use a different term for the contribution of each. Try this:

-Q(Cu) = Q(Al) + Q(w)

-[cp(cu)] [M(cu)] [ΔT(cu)] = cp(al)M(al)[ΔT(al)] + cp(w)M(w)[ΔT(w)]

The water will gain heat energy. The aluminum cup will gain heat energy. Both will start at the same T (15 degrees, in this case), and both will end at the same temperature (the equilibrium temperature you are trying to find). In other words, ΔT(w) = ΔT(al).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook