Calulate probability of points allocation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is facing a challenge in their website where they need to allocate popularity points for a specific category that was not chosen by the visitor. They are seeking help in determining a fair and accurate way to allocate these points, and some potential solutions include using imputation or regression analysis. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specifics of the data and the research question at hand.
Sephiroth100
Hi,

First time posting so be gentle :)

I have a website and on the website I calculate popularity of objects over time.

One of the objects is called 'Store Category' - a store has one or more categories.

I.e. the store Easyjet, has categories 'Flights', 'Hotels' etc.

In order to apply popularity at this level the visitor must have first chosen a category. This is not always the case, because I might present a list of stores and the visitor selects one directly, without narrowing the stores by category first.

When this happens I'm left with a pot of popularity points where the category could not be identified. I would like to try and allocate the points using some kind of algorithm.

So, take our example of Easyjet

Easyjet operates in 3 categories, 'Flights', 'Hotels' and 'Travel Insurance'.

Each category is operational for x days and has accrued x identifiable points.

Flights - 90 days, 180pts
Hotels - 30 days, 60pts
Travel Insurance - 60 days, 0pts​

I have 180pts in the pot that are yet to be allocated across the 3 categories, but what's a fair assumption?

My first thoughts were a combination using time and points independently because otherwise categories with no points would never get allocated points from the pot.

points to allocate = pot points * (days/total days + pts/total pts / 2)
using Flights: 105 = 180 * ((90/180 + 180/270) / 2)​

But I'm no mathematician so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear John,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It sounds like you are facing a common challenge in data analysis, where some data points are missing or incomplete. In order to address this issue, there are a few things you could consider.

One option is to use a technique called imputation, which involves filling in missing values with estimated values based on the available data. In your case, you could use the available data on the popularity of the categories to estimate the missing values for the category that was not chosen by the visitor. This could be done by calculating the average popularity score for each category and using that as the estimated value for the missing data. This approach would help to distribute the popularity points fairly among the categories.

Another option is to use a regression analysis to predict the popularity of the category based on the available data. This would involve creating a model that takes into account factors such as the number of days the category has been operational and the number of identifiable points it has accrued. The model could then be used to estimate the missing popularity points for the category that was not chosen by the visitor.

Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specifics of your data and your research question. I would recommend consulting with a statistician or data analyst to determine the most appropriate method for your particular situation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis!

1. What is the purpose of calculating the probability of points allocation?

The purpose of calculating the probability of points allocation is to determine the likelihood of a certain number of points being assigned to a particular outcome or event. This can be useful in decision making and risk assessment.

2. How is the probability of points allocation calculated?

The probability of points allocation is calculated by dividing the number of points allocated to a specific outcome by the total number of points possible. This gives a decimal value, which can then be converted to a percentage to represent the likelihood of that outcome occurring.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the probability of points allocation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the probability of points allocation. These include the sample size, the quality of data used, the assumptions made in the calculation, and any external factors that may influence the outcome.

4. How can the results of the probability of points allocation be interpreted?

The results of the probability of points allocation can be interpreted as the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring. For example, if the probability is 0.75, this can be interpreted as a 75% chance of that outcome happening.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the probability of points allocation?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the probability of points allocation. This method assumes that the outcomes are independent and that the data used is accurate. It also does not account for any unforeseen events or changes in circumstances that may affect the outcome.