Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calulate probability of points allocation

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,

First time posting so be gentle :)

I have a website and on the website I calculate popularity of objects over time.

One of the objects is called 'Store Category' - a store has one or more categories.

I.e. the store Easyjet, has categories 'Flights', 'Hotels' etc.

In order to apply popularity at this level the visitor must have first chosen a category. This is not always the case, because I might present a list of stores and the visitor selects one directly, without narrowing the stores by category first.

When this happens I'm left with a pot of popularity points where the category could not be identified. I would like to try and allocate the points using some kind of algorithm.

So, take our example of Easyjet

Easyjet operates in 3 categories, 'Flights', 'Hotels' and 'Travel Insurance'.

Each category is operational for x days and has accrued x identifiable points.

Flights - 90 days, 180pts
    Hotels - 30 days, 60pts
    Travel Insurance - 60 days, 0pts​

I have 180pts in the pot that are yet to be allocated across the 3 categories, but what's a fair assumption?

My first thoughts were a combination using time and points independently because otherwise categories with no points would never get allocated points from the pot.

points to allocate = pot points * (days/total days + pts/total pts / 2)
    using Flights: 105 = 180 * ((90/180 + 180/270) / 2)​

But I'm no mathematician so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted