Cam Lift as a Periodic Forcing Function

In summary, the conversation revolves around developing a dynamic model for a cam and follower system in an internal combustion engine. The speaker is struggling with obtaining an equation of motion from a table of lift values and has attempted to overlay a sinusoidal curve to the data. They are now considering using a Fourier series to represent the data. The ultimate goal is to predict and improve undesirable valvetrain motion. The speaker has also shared resources they have found helpful but is seeking advice on how to proceed with the project.
PatrickRay007

Homework Statement

Background: Given a cam and follower system in the valvetrain of an internal combustion engine and a table of values relating follower lift with respect to angular displacement, I would like to model the input delivered to the valvetrain by the cam lobe as a periodic forcing function for dynamic analysis of the response. I have an old vibrations textbook from college, wherein I found an example very similar to what I'm trying to do (in fact, it's labeled as a function one might see in a cam, though it would be a particularly poorly designed cam if it were). In this example, the author has jumped straight to a Fourier series representing the motion of the cam, plots this, and compares it to a graph of the motion created by the cam, all the while assuming I can jump straight to the Fourier Series (his approximation was very close, however!). The problem for me is that I have a table of lift values, which I can graph, but have been grappling with my rusty mathematical knowledge on just how I can develop an equation from this table of values.

Things I know:
- Angular displacement
- Lift (distance from the contact point to the center of the cam shaft minus base circle (zero lift) radius
- Mass of the system components
- Spring constants of the system

For the moment, I'd like to focus on obtaining the equation of motion as a function of angular displacement and understanding that before relating the motion to time (should be simple) and then developing the dynamic model, which I expect will be much more challenging. Additionally, I will have the ability to compare my model to an actual camshaft in operation. The idea here is to predict undesirable valvetrain motion (such as flutter and float) and compare the predictions to the test results and further refine the model to use in future valvetrain development. Once I have a dynamic model, I hope to be able to test the effect of changing the properties of the system without having to reconfigure an actual valvetrain. I found a wonderful dissertation by a South African graduate student that has helped, but his development of the mathematical model is, frankly, over my head.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt at a solution has been to overlay a sinusoidal curve (EQ 1) to the data, matching by eye, then plot the difference between the two. I then fitted a sinusoid to the difference by eye and subtracted it from EQ1. Plotted the difference, fitted a sinusoid, and so on three or four times. This produced mediocre results, as the lift profile is apparently complex, so this is why I am now leaning toward a Fourier series representing the data. I have posted a truncated excel file with the lift values for one revolution of the cam shaft for your consideration.

Attachments

• Cam Lift.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
I have also attached a screen shot of the lift profile for one revolution. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to move forward with this project, as it is something I am very interested in learning more about. I am currently taking a course in Mechanical Vibrations and will be able to better understand any advice given. I look forward to hearing the opinions of the members of this forum!

1. What is cam lift as a periodic forcing function?

Cam lift as a periodic forcing function refers to the use of a cam mechanism to generate a periodic motion or force in a system. This is commonly used in engines and other mechanical devices to control the timing and duration of valve openings.

2. How does cam lift affect engine performance?

The cam lift directly affects the valve opening and closing timings, which in turn affects the amount of air and fuel mixture that enters the engine. This can greatly impact the power, torque, and efficiency of the engine.

3. What are the benefits of using cam lift as a periodic forcing function?

Using cam lift as a periodic forcing function allows for precise control over valve timings, resulting in improved engine performance and fuel efficiency. It also allows for customization of the engine's power and torque output.

4. Can cam lift be adjusted or changed?

Yes, the cam lift can be adjusted or changed by altering the shape and size of the cam or by changing the position of the camshaft. This allows for further customization of the engine's performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using cam lift as a periodic forcing function?

While cam lift can greatly improve engine performance, it can also cause increased wear and tear on engine components due to the high forces involved. Additionally, the design and implementation of cam lift mechanisms can be complex and require precise engineering.