Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cambridge engineering specification

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    As part of my degree I have been tasked tp use CES to specify the design of a coffee table. As i have never used CES before could I get some general tips with using it? Below is the question given which i dont fully understand. Could you reword it into laymens terms for the simpletons (such as myself). Any help would be much appreciated!

Part B

A designer wishes to produce a table of simple design, manufactured with a table top of toughened glass supported by slender unbraced legs as shown above in Figure 1
    The legs must be solid and as light as possible and support the table top and any load without buckling.

Design requirements therefore are outlined below:

Function: Column

Objective: (a) Minimise mass
    (b) Maximise slenderness

Constraints (a) length l (700mm)
    (b) Must not buckle
    (c) Must not fracture under impact

Consider what properties you must use to identify the most suitable material for the table legs.
    Identify what properties and values you consider most relevant and any formulas used.
    Use the CES appropriately to identify materials that meet your specifications and include copies of any charts produced.
    Identify which materials meet the specific values determined and specify ultimately which you would choose and what factors governed your choice.
    State reasons why materials that meet the selection requirements were not selected.
    (12 MARKS)

Having identified the preferred material for the table legs, use the CES to determine a suitable cost effective manufacturing process. State the manufacturing volumes you are considering.
    (8 MARKS)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted