Can I Answer O Level Qs without Showing Steps? - Cambridge O Level

• Thread starter hugoARD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cambridge
In summary, it is generally acceptable to give answers without showing step by step solutions for O level questions, but it is good practice to include them to show your working. This is especially important in university where some lecturers may only award marks for correct working.
hugoARD
Is it okay to answer o level question without showing step by step solution? I just wrote some calculations how i found the answer. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
hugoARD said:
Is it okay to answer o level question without showing step by step solution? I just wrote some calculations how i found the answer. Please help
Without knowing the ins and outs of the syllabus, it is usually acceptable at that level to only give answers unless the question states otherwise (i.e. says show your working), however it is good practice to include it anyway, not least because if you get it wrong but have the correct method, you will only lose the mark awarded for the answer and not get zero for the whole question.
If you go to university then some lecturers will ONLY award marks where the student has working consistent with the final answer, so it's good to get in the habit.

Thank you for your answer. I feel relieved :)

1. Can I still get full marks if I don't show my working for O Level questions?

It is highly recommended to show your working for O Level questions in order to receive full marks. The steps you show demonstrate your understanding and process of solving the problem, which is an important aspect of the O Level exams. However, if you are confident that your answer is correct and can be easily understood without showing steps, you may still receive partial credit.

2. Is showing steps necessary for all subjects in O Level exams?

It depends on the subject and the question being asked. Generally, it is important to show your working for subjects that require calculations such as Mathematics or Science. However, for subjects like English or History, showing steps may not be necessary unless specifically asked for by the question.

3. Will I be penalized for showing incorrect steps?

No, you will not be penalized for showing incorrect steps. In fact, showing your working and any mistakes made can still earn you partial credit. It is important to demonstrate your thought process and understanding, even if it may not lead to the correct answer.

4. Can I use diagrams or graphs instead of written steps?

Yes, depending on the question, diagrams or graphs can be used to show your working and thought process. However, it is still recommended to provide some written explanation to accompany the diagram or graph.

5. How much detail should I include in my steps?

The level of detail required in your steps may vary depending on the question and the subject. However, it is important to include enough information for the examiner to understand your thought process and how you arrived at your answer. Including key equations or formulas used is also recommended.