• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Cambridge Part III?

• Thread starter rbc
  • Start date
rbc

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor. I was accepted to the Cambridge Part III course, and it looks like it would be fun in terms of the wide selection of classes and meeting other math students.

However, I'm a little uncertain of my abilities. I know that as an American student, our college education has more "general education" and is less focused on purely math. I go to a small university, so I don't really know how I measure up compared to other American students, much less other students from around the world.

Does acceptance to the course indicate a good chance of passing or is it actually fairly easy to get in? Are there other mathematicians out there who went to college in the US and could tell me what kind of a background and mathematical ability are needed to do well in the course?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

I know physics ugrads who take it so I wouldn't worry too much about your level of knowledge - but expect to work hard.

Good luck

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor.
Good luck with that.
:biggrin:

Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor. I was accepted to the Cambridge Part III course, and it looks like it would be fun in terms of the wide selection of classes and meeting other math students.

However, I'm a little uncertain of my abilities. I know that as an American student, our college education has more "general education" and is less focused on purely math. I go to a small university, so I don't really know how I measure up compared to other American students, much less other students from around the world.

Does acceptance to the course indicate a good chance of passing or is it actually fairly easy to get in? Are there other mathematicians out there who went to college in the US and could tell me what kind of a background and mathematical ability are needed to do well in the course?

Thanks.

congratulations! I am also an applicant, but my status is still "paper with department".
If you don't mind, can you tell me a little about your academic background? I want to see if I am qualified as you are.
BTW, there is a good thread about Part iii, maybe you want to read it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=29512

If you don't mind, can you tell me a little about your academic background?
Seconded. I would also like to know more about the student's background that Cambridge is looking for.

Concerning the OP, I know some people who have gone there (unfortunately none from the US). But I cannot really tell what will the level be like for you. I know of some people who have gone to cambridge as undergraduates and did well on Part III by studying as hard as they did on their undergrad. Also, note that Part III is the fourth year of university, so if you have finished a 4-year bachelor in the US you will have one year of advantage.
I would say you will be fine if they accepted you, I doubt it is easy to get accepted there, it is one of the best known Mathematics courses in Europe. (And I would personally take the chance and study there with the vast array of courses they offer in Part III.)

May I ask you about scholarships? Do they offer a lot of scholarships/fellowships for Part III students?

Seconded. I would also like to know more about the student's background that Cambridge is looking for.

Concerning the OP, I know some people who have gone there (unfortunately none from the US). But I cannot really tell what will the level be like for you. I know of some people who have gone to cambridge as undergraduates and did well on Part III by studying as hard as they did on their undergrad. Also, note that Part III is the fourth year of university, so if you have finished a 4-year bachelor in the US you will have one year of advantage.
I would say you will be fine if they accepted you, I doubt it is easy to get accepted there, it is one of the best known Mathematics courses in Europe. (And I would personally take the chance and study there with the vast array of courses they offer in Part III.)

May I ask you about scholarships? Do they offer a lot of scholarships/fellowships for Part III students?
It seems you have to apply for the scholarships separately. I have heard that most part iii students have to pay the money from their own pockets. The scholarships are hard to get