1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cambridge Part III

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    Has anyone done this before? If so, what were your reasons for considering it? What did you think about it? I'm hoping to find out more about what areas of math I want to focus in grad school, but I've also heard that it doesn't help all that much (although it was fun anyway). How does the admissions process work? Are there interviews like for undergraduate applications?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2
    bump? Has anyone tried doing this? I think it would be nice to look at for people who are interested in spending a year abroad or spending a gap year in another way before starting grad school.

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Part III is a Master's level course which, for undergraduates at Cambridge, is the fourth year of a MMath degree (although, for historical reasons, you get a BA as well) or, for graduate students from anywhere else, is a one-year course leading to the degree of Master of Advanced Study (MASt).

Having done it myself, I would suggest that you should only consider Part III if you are a Cambridge undergraduate and want a Master's level degree or if you have ambitions to do a PhD in mathematics or theoretical physics at Cambridge and don't already have a Master's.

Otherwise you do not want to do Part III. It is extremely tough. I would not describe it as suitable for "spending a gap year before starting grad school". It is grad school.

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the response! Yes, I definitely expect it to be intense. Maybe I should have phrased it as "before starting to do research". One of my reasons for considering it is that I want to better understand what areas of math I'm interested in studying later and look at how things are studied in different places. What sort of experience is assumed for Part III? Also, is there an interview required for outside students applying?

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5

IGU

How about if you are comfortable with the content of Parts IA-II but don't yet want to specialize? Comfortable with the content being defined as being able to do most of the relevant example sheets for a good selection of classes for each year (about eight or nine).

That would be rather the idea.

7. Oct 27, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

There is an unofficial guide (PDF) by http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/people/t.w.k_ouml_rner/ [Broken] which answers such questions as what experience is assumed, how to prepare, and what they're looking for in your application and references. On page 17 is the statement "We do not interview, but make our decisions based on your application and your referees’ letters."

From the above guide:

The choice is, of course, entirely yours.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Oct 28, 2013 #7
    I know several people who did it before coming to the USA for PHD. Most have very good things to say. The problem is it is really expensive for international students.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook