Build a Camera-Computer Platform - DIY Tutorials

• Thread starter iggybaseball
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to create a small platform that connects to a computer's parallel or USB port. This platform would have the ability to rotate 360 degrees on an XY plane and at least 180 degrees on an XZ and XY plane. It may also include a camera and the ability to be controlled from the computer. The speaker asks for resources and ideas for completing such a project, and suggests looking into "pan tilt zoom usb" on Google to find potential solutions. They also mention looking into Basic Stamp uC kits or PIC demo boards for the ability to drive stepper motors.
iggybaseball
I would like to create a small platform that connects to the parallel or usb port of a computer. I would like it to rotate it 360 degrees on an xy plane, and at least 180 degrees on a xz and xy plane. The platform would perhaps have a camera on it and I would like to control the movement of the platform from my computer. Could someone give me some resources for completing such a project or ideas of subjects I should look into? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did a quick google search on the following:

pan tilt zoom usb

and got lots of hits. Maybe check out some of the links to see what kind of ideas they give you. You might also check out the Basic Stamp uC kits or PIC demo boards to see if any of them include capability for driving a couple of stepper motors...

Creating a camera-computer platform can be a fun and challenging project to take on. To begin, you will need to gather the necessary materials such as a platform base, motors, a camera, and a microcontroller. You can find these materials at most electronics stores or online retailers.

Next, you will need to familiarize yourself with the basics of microcontrollers and programming. Arduino is a popular choice for beginners and there are plenty of online tutorials and resources available to help you get started.

Once you have a basic understanding of microcontrollers, you can start building your platform. You will need to wire the motors to the microcontroller and program it to control their movement. There are many tutorials and projects available online that can guide you through this process.

To control the platform from your computer, you will need to establish a connection between the microcontroller and your computer. This can be done through a USB or parallel port, depending on the type of microcontroller you are using. Again, there are resources available online to help you with this step.

As for the movement of the platform, you will need to incorporate sensors and code to control its rotation on the xy, xz, and yz planes. This will require some research and experimentation, but there are many tutorials and forums available online where you can find help and inspiration.

In addition to technical resources, I would also suggest looking into photography and videography techniques to get a better understanding of how cameras and platforms work together. This will help you design and program your platform to achieve the desired movements and angles.

Overall, building a camera-computer platform can be a challenging but rewarding project. With the right resources and a willingness to learn and experiment, you can create a unique and functional platform that meets your needs. Good luck with your project!

1. What materials do I need to build a camera-computer platform?

The materials needed to build a camera-computer platform include a Raspberry Pi, camera module, power supply, SD card, HDMI cable, USB cable, and a monitor or TV. You will also need a keyboard and mouse for initial setup and programming.

2. Do I need any prior coding or computer knowledge to build this platform?

Some basic coding and computer knowledge is recommended for building a camera-computer platform. However, there are many step-by-step tutorials available online that can guide you through the process. With patience and determination, anyone can successfully build their own platform.

3. How can I use this platform for my own projects?

The camera-computer platform can be used for a variety of projects, including time-lapse photography, security surveillance, motion detection, and more. The possibilities are endless and depend on your creativity and programming skills.

4. Can I customize the platform to fit my specific needs?

Yes, one of the benefits of building your own camera-computer platform is the ability to customize it to fit your specific needs. You can add different sensors, change the camera angle, or even integrate it into other devices or systems.

5. Is this platform suitable for beginners?

While some basic knowledge is recommended, this platform can be a great learning tool for beginners. Building and programming your own camera-computer platform can help you develop new skills and gain a deeper understanding of technology.