Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Camera down throat

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Has any one had this done to them? it sounds horrible even more so to a person that hates hospitals

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    Do you mean a gastroscopy, wolram? I have, and there's nothing to it. They sprayed my throat to make it numb, gave me an injection of Valium and something else, I nodded out for the majority of the procedure, and woke in a room where the hospital staff let me sleep it off. I didn't experience a sore throat or anything.

Some people -- such as my father -- remain awake regardless of the meds, but he was so calmed by the medication, he really didn't mind or care. I think he even got to watch a bit of what they were doing on the monitor.

It's not even a day-surgery thing. It's in and out in a few hours; just have someone to pick you up and cart you home.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just make sure there's a woman present during the entire procedure...:biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I am glad about that, i was very reluctant to accept.

6. Jan 8, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Strange but nurses seem to gather around me.

7. Jan 8, 2008 #6
    An endoscopy? I've never had one but in the next little while I have to go observe one :) I've heard its not to bad.

8. Jan 8, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I've been scoped from both ends during a single session, Woolie. (Hopefully with different equipment!!!!!):yuck: It's not unusual.

9. Jan 8, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

But what happens if you want to cough or some thing, i remember when they pulled a tube out of my nose that went deep down some where, that was horrible.

10. Jan 8, 2008 #9
    It's way, way easier than the tube down the nose.

11. Jan 8, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! I had one of those nose-cams running when the doctor did not sufficiently appreciate my heart-felt description of my gag-reflex. He was sorry, and it wasn't my fault. Too bad for him.

12. Jan 8, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Well thanks guys, i feel a bit easier about it now, i suppose i should put my self on the waiting list, i might even be better before they get to me.

13. Jan 8, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I haven't had a gastroscope inserted, but my demographic demands a colonoscopy every once in a while. I'd gladly trade places with you.

14. Jan 8, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

It makes me feel ill just looking at words like that, having to go to a hospital
    (even visiting) makes me feel ill, in all my years i have only just found a doctor i trust.

15. Jan 9, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

It's a common fear, Woolie... nothing to be embarrassed about. People naturally feel a bit helpless when they relenquish control of their bodies to someone else. If you're a good boy and do what the nice doctor says, they might give you a lolly afterward.

16. Jan 9, 2008 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

For some reason, my doctor hasn't yet felt the need. I thought it was common practice as of 40 and even asked him about it but he said no. And here I even went to the trouble to wear my best party nickers to my appointment...

17. Jan 9, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Don't worry, it's coming at age 50 along with "offers" from AARP every couple of months.

18. Jan 13, 2008 #17
    I had a kidney stone removed from my ureter without cutting. 'nuff said?

19. Jan 13, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

That must have been painful, i would not have thought they could get a stone out that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?