Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Camperforce Caravan

1. Sep 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This article is geared for retired folks who long to live a nomadic existence but still need to make ends meet:

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

A selected quote from the article:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Weird. I was actually thinking about basically the same thing yesterday.
    Though, it was more about harvesting crops.
    I read the other day that California has been having a difficult time finding farm labor for a few years.

As California’s labor shortage grows, farmers race to replace workers with robots
    By GEOFFREY MOHAN
    Photography by GARY CORONADO
    JULY 21, 2017 | REPORTING FROM SALINAS, CALIF.

After decades of crackdowns, the net flow across the U.S.-Mexico border reversed in 2005, a trend that accelerated through 2014, according to a Pew Research Center study. And native-born Americans aren’t interested in the job, even at wages that have soared at higher than average rates.

hmm......
    Picking crops was my first paying job. Funny to think that it might also be my last. Nice weather though, as long as you get to work by the crack of dawn, and quit before it gets too hot.

Side benefit:
    You can eat all the strawberries you want. (As long as the field boss doesn't catch you. Bosses are stupid.....)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted