Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Campus Speech Zones

1. Jun 2, 2003 #1
    Many campuses have implemented "Free Speech Zones". Students are only allowed all their free speech rights in these zones, and often they have to get permission ahead-of-time. Many are now sueing their schools. I know that we have had problems with this issue (I don't know about the sueing part), and changes are proposed to make the campus more free-speech friendly. This is obviously a big 1st Amendment issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05/30/campus.speech.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2003 #2
    Tough question, especially for students who are living on campus.

4. Jun 3, 2003 #3
    Doesn't seem like a very tough question. Universities are supposed to sponsor the free exchange of ideas. 'Free speech zones' seem pretty clearly to be a move by administrations who would like to save themselves from headaches and offended students. Too bad for them.

5. Jun 3, 2003 #4
    That's pretty sinister. It's the result of a hyper-politicized academic world, dont you think? Similar to public textbook censorship. It is probably a well written law being abused by power-tripping beauraucrats. As I've heard, it is supposed to apply only in cases where speech would interfere with education.

6. Jun 3, 2003 #5
    See, that's what makes it tough. I think the universities have a right to ensure a good learning environment, and to restrict some speech on those grounds seems fair.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook