Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Campus Speech Zones

1. Jun 2, 2003 #1
    Many campuses have implemented "Free Speech Zones". Students are only allowed all their free speech rights in these zones, and often they have to get permission ahead-of-time. Many are now sueing their schools. I know that we have had problems with this issue (I don't know about the sueing part), and changes are proposed to make the campus more free-speech friendly. This is obviously a big 1st Amendment issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05/30/campus.speech.ap/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2003 #2
    Tough question, especially for students who are living on campus.

4. Jun 3, 2003 #3
    Doesn't seem like a very tough question. Universities are supposed to sponsor the free exchange of ideas. 'Free speech zones' seem pretty clearly to be a move by administrations who would like to save themselves from headaches and offended students. Too bad for them.

5. Jun 3, 2003 #4
    That's pretty sinister. It's the result of a hyper-politicized academic world, dont you think? Similar to public textbook censorship. It is probably a well written law being abused by power-tripping beauraucrats. As I've heard, it is supposed to apply only in cases where speech would interfere with education.

6. Jun 3, 2003 #5
    See, that's what makes it tough. I think the universities have a right to ensure a good learning environment, and to restrict some speech on those grounds seems fair.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?