Surviving Large Bases on Airless Worlds: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter Whipley Snidelash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases
In summary, a space colony would have to be populated by screened individuals in order to avoid terrorist attacks. Even if this was done, the risk would be low.
Whipley Snidelash
I have been wondering lately about the survivability of large bases on airless moons or planets. I can’t think of any way to protect a base on the moon or Mars from a deranged individual determined to kill everybody there. It seems to me that there will be many occupations on a base like that that would provide an involved crewmember with the opportunity to use that position to destroy the base or kill a lot of people, like rocket pilots. What would the population of a base have to be before it was certain to include some determined terrorists, deranged individuals or someone prone to snap? It seems like it happens here all the time but luckily we have air everywhere and nobody can depressurize the planet or crash into it and destroy it. Does anyone think that I’m completely wrong and if so why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. Perhaps the initial occupants will need to be screened similarly to how the crews on nuclear submarines are vetted. And perhaps a military or paramilitary structure will need to be used to help maintain/ensure order. Hmm...

Likes russ_watters
I imagine one would design the hypothetical lunar base with sufficient redundancies, bulkheads and airlocks, so that no single failure could compromise the entire system.

Likes stefan r
Whipley Snidelash said:
It seems like it happens here all the time
yes, out of the 330,000,000 people in the US there are perhaps hundreds who are domestic (or less likely, foreign) terrorists and dozens of them that actually act on it. In 2019 there were 25 recorded terrorist attacks in the USA. That's 25 out of 330,000,000 people and I suspect that none of the 25 would have passed muster for a space journey with any significant degree of screening.

I'm not saying it's not a conceivable problem but I suspect that in the overall scheme of things, a space colony with have that risk way down near the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Whipley Snidelash said:
It seems like it happens here all the time but luckily we have air everywhere and nobody can depressurize the planet or crash into it and destroy it
Your comparing the destruction of the entire world and its people with the destruction of a location?
Seems lopsided.
The survivability on a moon base or on Earth location - how much does that depend upon the air you breath, rather than other factors, of which depressurization would be just one.

Whipley Snidelash said:
a deranged individual determined to kill everybody
I don't think such individual exists or has the capacity to "kill everybody".

First, a truly deranged person cannot have the capacity to organize such plan. They will kill a few individuals at most and will be stopped quickly by others (and they often stop by themselves first, way before "everybody" is dead).

Second, in any society, nobody has the total control over a critical component that everyone depends on. Even launching a nuclear attack is not a "one man job", anywhere in the world. Even if one would somehow destroy the water supply of, say, New York City, they would be able to find water from surrounding cities somehow. One individual destroying the water supply of everyone at the same time? I cannot see it happening.

Third, only a well organized group could do real damages, usually in a form of war. There are no groups of "deranged" people. Somehow, it is always be about getting power over other people. If you kill everybody, then there is no power to get; because you're alone.

Nobody wants to kill everybody. The deranged ones that try have always failed, miserably. Made damages? Yes. Destroy everything? No.

But it does make great scenarios for movies and novels.

1. Can humans survive on airless worlds?

Yes, it is possible for humans to survive on airless worlds with the proper technology and resources. However, it would require a lot of planning and careful consideration of the environment.

2. What is the biggest challenge in surviving on an airless world?

The biggest challenge is the lack of breathable atmosphere. Without oxygen, humans cannot survive for very long. Therefore, maintaining a stable air supply is crucial for survival.

3. How do we generate oxygen on an airless world?

Oxygen can be generated through various methods such as electrolysis, which involves breaking down water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen. Another method is through photosynthesis, where plants use sunlight to produce oxygen.

4. What other resources are necessary for surviving on an airless world?

Aside from oxygen, other essential resources include water, food, and shelter. These can be obtained through mining, hydroponic farming, and the use of 3D printing technology to construct habitable structures.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the harsh environment of an airless world?

To protect ourselves from the extreme temperatures and radiation on airless worlds, we would need to build structures with thick walls and use advanced insulation materials. Additionally, wearing specialized suits and using airlocks when exiting or entering the base can also provide protection.