1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a fly lift a balloon

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    The thread title is meant to be "Can a fly lift a balloon", it's Tom now due to a small mistake while posting.

This question was raised on a dutch technology forum.

Specific:
    Can a fly in a balloon lift the balloon by flying upwards against the top of the balloon?

More general:
    Can a flying object in a closed hollow object lift the closed hollow object if the flying object has enough power and the environment properties are the same inside and outside of the closed hollow object?

Notes:
    - The closed hollow object is full with air exhaled by a human, not with hot air or helium.
    - Feel free to ask more specific details.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Re: Tom

What do you think?

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

I think it's possible, but I'm not sure, that's why I am here to ask others.

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Can a fly lift a balloon?

We know the answer, but aren't talking yet. What was the consensus on the Dutch forum?

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5
    Re: Can a fly lift a balloon?

There are different opinions on this question, that's why we are looking for confirmation on what would be the right opinion.

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, we generally don't give out answers to this type of question, because in the end it could be for a school assignment.

So alternately we can ask you to reason it out. When a fly is hovering right near the ground, what is holding it up off the ground?

8. Aug 6, 2009 #7

Thank you LeonhardEuler for answering the question. :-)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. Aug 10, 2009 #8

At expense of what would the balloon would rise?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook