Can a former president be appointed to a cabinet position?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the legalities of a former president running for other political positions are not clearly defined, but it is possible for them to run for Senate, House of Representatives, or City Council as long as they have not committed any felonies while in office. However, it is not common for former presidents to pursue lower positions due to their desire to maintain their status and legacy. Additionally, many former presidents choose to write books and give speeches for a more lucrative career after their time in office. Many presidents also age quickly during their time in office, making it difficult for them to continue in active politics.
wasteofo2
Just curious, anyone know the legalities of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course he can.

He can run for Senate. Run for House of Representatives. Run for City Council.

Well, at least he can provided he didn't commit any felonies in office. :rolleyes:

BobG said:
Of course he can.

He can run for Senate. Run for House of Representatives. Run for City Council.
:eek:
Why the hell hasn't this been taken advantage of more often? Has every single president just been so sick of politics by the time they were done with office that they decided that the future of their country/state/city/town wasn't worth fighting for?

Would such a person, if he had served two terms, be skipped over in the scheme for successorship to the presidency in case both the president and the vice president... and so on, were disabled or killed?

I think it's more about ego. To move into a lowly position makes you "lose stature". You want to reach the pinnacle, and go out with a bang - it's all about style, baby ! :wink:

wasteofo2 said:
Why the hell hasn't this been taken advantage of more often? Has every single president just been so sick of politics by the time they were done with office that they decided that the future of their country/state/city/town wasn't worth fighting for?

A long time ago, before the US was a world power, this was taken advantage of occasionally (yeah, it's before the 2 term limit became official, but it was a tradition so strong that no one would have ever dreamed of breaking it before Roosevelt).

Nowadays, it would be a very anticlimatic ending for someone who was looking at how they would be remembered in history.

BobG said:
Nowadays, it would be a very anticlimatic ending for someone who was looking at how they would be remembered in history.

No doubt. If I remember my schoolboy history, Andrew Jackson went back to being a Senator after he had been president.

BobG said:
Nowadays, it would be a very anticlimatic ending ...

An ending in strong opposition to the weather ? Hey, just pulling your leg ! :biggrin:

I know you meant 'anticlimactic'. :wink:

Wow, so most of you think it would just be bad for the persons image to try it? I know if I were a politician who actually cared about changing stuff, and I was president for 2 terms, I'd become a Senator or Governor or something so I could keep changing things for the better. Guess most politicians don't care as much as I thought.

wasteofo2 said:
It's more lucrative for them to write a book and run around the world making speeches. Here's one example: http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/09/news/bubbasbucks/

Last edited by a moderator:
"It's more lucrative for them to write a book and run around the world making speeches. Here's one example"

exactly.
and after being president for 4 years you might want to take a break from real politics

DarkAnt said:
"exactly.
and after being president for 4 years you might want to take a break from real politics

Good point. Reagan and Clinton seemed to really enjoy being president, but that might be because Reagan fell asleep a lot and Clinton ...

Every other president has seemed to age very quickly during their time in office.

Just look at recent presidencies, example by example.

Hoover. Succeeded by a Democrat.
FDR. Died in office.
Truman. Succeeded by a Republican. Too old by the time JFK came to power.
JFK. Died in office.
LBJ. Succeeded by a Republican. Died before Carter came to power.
Nixon. Not likely to get a cabinet position after being pardoned.
Ford. Succeeded by a Democrat. Too old by the time Reagan came to power.
Carter. Succeded by a Republican. Too old by the time Clinton came to power.
Reagan. Too old.
Bush. Succeeded by a Democrat. A cabinet position would have been blatant nepotism.
Clinton. Succeeded by a Republican. (May end up with a cabinet position if Kerry wins).

1. Can a former president be appointed to a cabinet position?

Yes, a former president can be appointed to a cabinet position. However, this is a rare occurrence as most former presidents choose to retire from public service after their term ends.

2. Has a former president ever been appointed to a cabinet position?

Yes, there have been instances where former presidents have been appointed to cabinet positions. For example, President William Howard Taft was appointed as Chief Justice of the United States after his term as president ended.

3. Is there a law prohibiting a former president from being appointed to a cabinet position?

No, there is no specific law prohibiting a former president from being appointed to a cabinet position. However, there may be conflicts of interest or ethical considerations that could prevent a former president from being appointed.

4. Can a former president serve in a cabinet position if they have already served two terms as president?

Yes, there is no limit on the number of terms a former president can serve in a cabinet position. However, it is uncommon for a former president to be appointed to a cabinet position after serving two terms.

5. Do former presidents receive payment for serving in a cabinet position?

Yes, former presidents who are appointed to cabinet positions are eligible for payment. However, since most former presidents have a pension from their time in office, they may choose not to accept additional payment for their service in a cabinet position.