Can a hair dryer burn? Thermodynamic considerations....

In summary: Blowing_harderYes, if you blow hard enough, the wall's temperature can exceed 60 degrees. However, this is not something that is typically done with a hairdryer - typically, the hairdryer is used to blow air at a lower temperature than the wall, and is not designed to produce a lot of heat.
Merlin05
Hi all,
I actually work in physics (quantum physics) but my thermodynamics knowledge is a bit lacking these days. The following problem has had me puzzled for quite a long time.

Basically, if I point the hot air coming out of a hairdryer at a target, will that target's temperature ever go higher than the temperature of the hot air? I recall reading somewhere that hairdryers product air at 60 degrees C, which is just below the threshold that can cause burning.

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Burning of the skin, not bursting into flames, is what they probably mean.

Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .

Nidum said:
Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .
Thanks for the reply.
To be clear, I'm talking about the hairdryer burning the skin, not the dryer bursting into flames. In fact I just gave the hairdryer as an example, I'm really interested in understanding the physics here: i.e. if I blow air at 60 degrees C at a wall can that wall's temperature exceed 60 degrees?

If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?

nasu said:
If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?
Thanks for that answer!

It is possible to build machines which use a large flow of cold air to produce a small flow of hot air .

Last edited:
Likes Nidum

1. Can a hair dryer actually catch on fire?

Yes, a hair dryer can catch on fire if it is used improperly or if there is a malfunction in the device. Most hair dryers have a built-in safety feature that will automatically shut off the device if it overheats, reducing the risk of fire.

2. How hot does a hair dryer get?

The temperature of a hair dryer can vary depending on the model and settings, but on average, it can reach temperatures of up to 140-160 degrees Fahrenheit (60-70 degrees Celsius). However, some hair dryers have a "cool" setting that blows room temperature air.

3. Can I leave a hair dryer running for a long time?

It is not recommended to leave a hair dryer running for an extended period of time. This can cause the device to overheat and potentially catch fire. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using a hair dryer.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a hair dryer?

Yes, it is important to always read the safety precautions provided by the manufacturer before using a hair dryer. Some general safety tips include keeping the device away from water, not using it near flammable materials, and not covering the air vents while in use.

5. How do thermodynamics play a role in the functioning of a hair dryer?

Thermodynamics is the science of heat and its relationship with other forms of energy. In the case of a hair dryer, thermodynamics plays a vital role in the heating element of the device. The heating element converts electrical energy into heat, which is then used to dry hair. The thermodynamics principles also play a role in the safety features of the device, such as the automatic shut off if it overheats.