Can a matrix be a vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether three given matrices are vectors or not, and the conclusion is that they can be considered as vectors in a vector space. The conversation also talks about finding the determinant of the matrices, but it is not necessary to solve the problem. The main goal is to determine whether the matrices are linearly independent or dependent. It is determined that the matrices are dependent, as v3 can be expressed as a linear combination of v1 and v2.
judahs_lion
This question makes no since to me are these matrixes v1, v2 ,v3 actually vectors as stated in the problem attached?

Attachments

• takehomeexam10.jpg
    takehomeexam10.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
They are not vectors in the form that you usually encounter them (i.e. as a string of coordinates in n-dimensional space).
However, if you call any element of a vector space (that is, a set that satisfies certain axioms) a vector, then indeed they are.

Note by the way that there is always a bijection between n x m matrices and vectors in Rnm.

How would I go about finding the determinate of them or would I have to go about another method to test for independence? I can tell the vector {4,4;4,4} would not be in the span because there is no multiple of d for({a, b;c,d} that would ever equal 4 because d is always 0.

You don't need the determinant to solve this problem. You are just looking for some a, b such that [itex]a\,\mathbf v_1 + b\,\mathbf v_2 = \mathbf v_3[/itex] -- or show that no such a, b exist.

D H said:
You don't need the determinant to solve this problem. You are just looking for some a, b such that [itex]a\,\mathbf v_1 + b\,\mathbf v_2 = \mathbf v_3[/itex] -- or show that no such a, b exist.

Thanks so a = -7, b =1;

Span(v1,v2,v3) = {<a, -a; c , 0> : a, c belong to R} ?

judahs_lion said:
Thanks so a = -7, b =1;
Nope. Edit: Oops, my bad. I checked it again after seeing DH's post, and I'm the one who messed up.

I suggest you use the standard definition of linear independence. [itex]\{v_1,\dots,v_k\}[/itex] is linearly independent if

[tex]\sum a_i v_i=0\Rightarrow a_i=0 \text{ for all }i[/tex]

(What DH said works too).

Last edited:
judahs_lion said:
Thanks so a = -7, b =1;
Good. So what does that mean in terms of the problem? (You need to determine whether v1, v2, v3 are dependent or independent.)

Span(v1,v2,v3) = {<a, -a; c , 0> : a, c belong to R} ?
That looks good.

D H said:
Good. So what does that mean in terms of the problem? (You need to determine whether v1, v2, v3 are dependent or independent.)

That looks good.

That means they are dependent? v3 depends on v1 and v2

D H said:
Correct.

Thank you

1. Can a matrix be a vector?

No, a matrix cannot be a vector. A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols, while a vector is a mathematical object that has magnitude and direction. While they may look similar, they serve different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a 2-dimensional array of numbers or symbols, while a vector is a 1-dimensional object that has magnitude and direction. Matrices are used for operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, while vectors are used for representing physical quantities such as force and velocity.

3. Is a matrix a type of vector?

No, a matrix is not a type of vector. They are two distinct mathematical objects that have different properties and uses. While they may share some similarities, they cannot be used interchangeably.

4. Can a vector be represented as a matrix?

Yes, a vector can be represented as a matrix in some cases. For example, a column vector with n elements can be represented as an n x 1 matrix, and a row vector with n elements can be represented as a 1 x n matrix. However, this does not change the fact that they are different mathematical objects with different properties.

5. Can a matrix and a vector be multiplied together?

No, a matrix and a vector cannot be multiplied together. In order for two matrices to be multiplied, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Since a vector only has one row or column, it cannot satisfy this requirement for matrix multiplication.