Can a physicist be overweight?

• Thread starter Amrit N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation was about whether or not physicists can be fat and heavy built. Some people believe that physicists can be any "flavor" of human and that the question is ridiculous and based on erroneous assumptions. Others provided examples of physicists who were not overweight and even mentioned a famous physicist with facial hair. One person mentioned that their physics professor was also into weight training and that they themselves hit the gym 4 days a week. Overall, the consensus was that there is no specific physical appearance associated with being a physicist and that the question itself is nonsensical.

Do physicist can be fat and heavy built??????

• No

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • partially

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • cannot say anything

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • this is non sense question

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
Amrit N
Hi guys this topic is little strange but i am asking it because i had this in my brain long time ago.you know to become great Physicist the indiviual should spend time spending in the books , labs , discussions etc.They are involved in mind aching topics thinking every logical and creative aspects.So they likely they use more energy for brain than becoming fat.Moreover they are mostly worryfull persons hanging in their subjects and egoes(i think)
They neither spend time in exercise neglecting the chances of being body builder
here guys i am asking you people to tell if you have any physicist like fat and heavy buillt(because I have not seen one)?
or do you want comment my reason ehy physicist cannot be fat and heavy built
Guys every comment is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org

I see a lot of stereotypes, prejudice and unverified supposition in that question.

Yes, some can be fat. But not all may be for the reason stated.

However, not every physicist is fat. Most are not. I can say they would eat less as they are more focused on their work thus are not fat.

... There are two sides to a coin.

Boltzmann was not exactly fat, but he was on the heavy side.

http://www.scientific-web.com/en/Physics/Biographies/images/BoltzmannGroup.jpg [Broken]
Boltzmann is right in the center seated behind the small table.

I can't think of anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoobyshoe said:

Boltzmann is right in the center seated behind the small table.

I can't think of anyone else.

Facial hair looks to have been quite the vogue, besides some hearty eating.

LowlyPion said:
Facial hair looks to have been quite the vogue, besides some hearty eating.

Yes. I suppose Einstein was the last of the great physicists with facial hair. I can't think of any others.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes. I suppose Einstein was the last of the great physicists with facial hair. I can't think of any others.
Astronuc or Borek for instance.

humanino said:
Astronuc or Borek for instance.

Of course! What was I thinking?!?

zoobyshoe said:
I thought it was Oliver who was on the Heaviside. yuck yuck yuck :tongue2:

Don't exercise? A few of my profs hike every weekend and stay in excellent shape. I also know of one who is really into weight training. I wouldn't call myself a physicist just yet, but I hit the gym 4 days a week.

I'm thinking of all of my physics profs and can't think of a single one that's overweight actually... Strange.

What? this question is ridiculous. Do you believe physicists are another kind of species? physicists are human!, and thus exist in any "flavor" possible to humans.

I voted that it's a nonsense question. Too many erroneous assumptions to mean anything.

Astronuc said:
I thought it was Oliver who was on the Heaviside. yuck yuck yuck :tongue2:

Heaviside.jpg

He was just a fat wannabe: wore clothes a couple sizes too big for him.

Cyclovenom said:
What? this question is ridiculous. Do you believe physicists are another kind of species? physicists are human!, and thus exist in any "flavor" possible to humans.

And just how many physicists have you tasted?

moose said:
Don't exercise? A few of my profs hike every weekend and stay in excellent shape. I also know of one who is really into weight training. I wouldn't call myself a physicist just yet, but I hit the gym 4 days a week.

I have a professor who I'm fairly certain is a hitman on the side. Gotta be in shape for that.

There have been a few weird as hell questions about physicists lately. It's as if people think there's a certain gene all physicists have that made they predestined to be physicists and that we all have common properties that can be deciphered such as how they interact with their significant others or how much they weigh. If only James Bond was a former physicist we wouldn't have to deal with these questions. Every poll could be answered "See James Bond".

zoobyshoe said:
And just how many physicists have you tasted?
In my sample, there is definitely an anomaly in belly size correlating with age and country of origin. Sorry to divulge that elder russians apparently still tend to drink. They nevertheless perform very good. Also, I recently became aware that one of them, whom I can meet running in the park quite often, is over 70 years old. Not only his belly is flat, but he looks quite younger.

zoobyshoe said:

Now that fits with the physicist stereotype much better than anything posted in the OP. :tongue:

humanino said:
In my sample, there is definitely an anomaly in belly size correlating with age and country of origin. Sorry to divulge that elder russians apparently still tend to drink. They nevertheless perform very good. Also, I recently became aware that one of them, whom I can meet running in the park quite often, is over 70 years old. Not only his belly is flat, but he looks quite younger.

You tasted a 70 year old Russian jogger?

zoobyshoe said:
You tasted a 70 year old Russian jogger?
I'm close to overdose actually.

A 70 yr old Russian jogger is probably very salty. :tongue:

this is really truly a non sense question Amrit N, you were drunk when you typed this, weren't you?!

The best all-around mathematician that I have known (now deceased) was pretty rotund. He was not a physically active person, but could do a bunch of things at once, and often did. He was a killer at chess and bridge, loved college sports and pro sports, and kept up with them as well as keeping up with some obscure (to me) subjects in mathematics, while staying current with science journals, books (I borrowed "The Emperor's New Mind" from him before breaking down and buying my own copy) science fiction, and a whole lot of other stuff. I'd drop in on him to find him in his recliner, listening to a game on the radio and watching another sports event on TV, while reading a book on bridge strategy or encryption or history. One of the sharpest minds I've ever known, housed in a body that most would consider really short and obese. His wife was a lovely (and pretty tall) patrician woman from a Quaker family with 100+ year roots in my home town. A match made in heaven.

zoobyshoe said:
Heaviside.jpg

I note another trend - a sartorial trend ... vests.

Why don't we all go back to wearing togas?

No. Seriously.

There has been a disproportionately large percentage of rotund American presidents. Here's my contribution:

http://anewwayforward.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pres-teddy-roosevelt-speechmaking2.jpg

How many others can you find?

zoobyshoe said:
There has been a disproportionately large percentage of rotund American presidents. Here's my contribution:

How many others can you find?

I think Taft was the champion beefalo.

Here he is lining up a putt.

UT8284-332.jpg

the lazy physicist are fat , because they don't use mind much such that all food that they eat deposit as fat, is that so?

LowlyPion said:

Here he is lining up a putt.

Did we really need that? :rofl:

I answered No! Everytime I go shopping for shirts, I become convinced that everyone in America needs to seriously lose some weight. That goes for physicists, too.

What the hell is it with shirt sizes!? How many Larges, Extra Larges, and Extra Extra Larges do they really need?

BobG said:
Did we really need that? :rofl:

I answered No! Everytime I go shopping for shirts, I become convinced that everyone in America needs to seriously lose some weight. That goes for physicists, too.

What the hell is it with shirt sizes!? How many Larges, Extra Larges, and Extra Extra Larges do they really need?

I have the same problem. It seems like everything I find is either too tight in the shoulders/chest or a parachute in the waist.

BobG said:

Well, when the fast food restaurants now sell a "small" soda that is as big as the large was when I was a kid, you need to supersize the clothing too.

LowlyPion said:

Wow, what a lard-***!

1. Can being overweight affect a physicist's ability to perform their job?

While being overweight may affect a physicist's physical health, it does not necessarily impact their ability to perform their job. Physics is a field that primarily involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills, which are not affected by one's weight.

2. Are there any physical limitations for overweight physicists in their research?

No, there are no specific physical limitations for overweight physicists in their research. Physics research primarily involves mental work, such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, and writing papers. As long as a physicist is able to perform these tasks, their weight should not affect their research.

3. Are there any health risks associated with being an overweight physicist?

Being overweight may increase the risk of certain health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, and joint problems. However, these risks are not specific to being a physicist and can affect anyone who is overweight. It is important for all individuals, including physicists, to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle to reduce these risks.

4. Can being overweight impact a physicist's credibility in the scientific community?

No, a physicist's weight does not affect their credibility in the scientific community. What matters most in the scientific community is their research, contributions to the field, and ability to communicate their findings effectively. A physicist's weight should not be a factor in determining their credibility.

5. Are there any accommodations for overweight physicists in the workplace?

Employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities, which may include providing ergonomic furniture or equipment for overweight physicists. However, being overweight is not considered a disability, so there may not be specific accommodations for this. It is important for employers to promote a healthy and inclusive workplace for all employees, regardless of their weight.