Can Planets Be Entirely Liquid and Still Viable in Space?

In summary, it is physically possible to have a planet consisting entirely of liquids, but it would depend on whether a suitable substance exists and if the planet's temperature range could maintain the liquid state. The planet would also need to have enough mass to retain its atmosphere and prevent constant boiling or freezing. A gas atmosphere would also be inevitable due to the low pressure at the surface. However, the common substances in the galaxy may not lend themselves to this balancing act.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is it physically possible to have planets consisting entirely of liquids? I don't mean an ocean world, but a planet with nothing but liquid?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know of any substances which can be liquid when exposed to the vacuum of space, so the planet would have to have at least some atmosphere, the vapor phase of whatever liquid makes up the rest of the planet.

I also don't really know if any substances can remain in the liquid phase under the extremely high pressure near the core of a planet; even hydrogen solidifies.

The planet would have to be massive to have strong enough gravity to keep its atmosphere; if it were too small, the atmosphere would constantly be escaping, and thus the planet would be basically boiling away all the time. If the planet is too big, though, I'd imagine that its core would end up solidifying.

So, I think the answer really depends on whether or not a suitable substance exists. Anyone else have any ideas?

- Warren

What property of gases makes them a viable interface with the vacuum?

EnumaElish said:

It's more an inevitable interface with vacuum. At low pressure liquids boil to give vapour so if you had a liquid planet exposed to vacuum you would boil some of the surface off creating an atmosphere.

I don't see why there's a problem in principle. Technically a rock in space should be slowly sublimating, but for common solids that vapour pressure is negligible. I imagine a blob of pure liquid mercury would remain so for a long time. In practice though, the obvious problem is that liquid is an intermediate phase between solid and gas: you need to position your planet so that the average temperature is in that precise range, ensuring also that it hasn't time to freeze at night nor boil on the sun-side. A large volume to surface ratio probably helps, but then you have the pressure gradient to deal with as well.. Ultimately, the common substances of the galaxy (hydrogen and rock) don't lend themselves to this balancing act.

In practice you must always have somefinite vapour pressure and so will have an atmosphere however tenuous.
It's less clear (to me - I'm not a solid state person) why you can't have a liquid core as chroot says, the Earth has a liquid core but that may only be due to it not having cooled down yet.

EnumaElish said:
What does one mean by viable.

Gas molecules have mass, momentum and kinetic energy/temperature.

The maximum velocity must be less than the escape velocity, which is a function of the molecular mass and local gravity field strength.

Planets could be liquid, but in order to have sufficient mass to have enough gravity to retain liquid or vapor molecules (if the temperature range is wide enough), the core or somewhere between core and surface might be solid (function of pressure and temperature).

1. Can a planet be 100% liquid?

Yes, it is possible for a planet to be 100% liquid. There are some exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) that have been discovered to be entirely covered in oceans of liquid. These planets are known as "water worlds" and are thought to have a thick atmosphere that traps in heat, allowing the water to remain in liquid form despite the planet's distance from its star.

2. What would cause a planet to be 100% liquid?

A planet can be 100% liquid if it has the right conditions, such as a thick atmosphere and a sufficient amount of water. The planet also needs to be at the right distance from its star to maintain a stable temperature and prevent the water from freezing or evaporating.

3. Could life exist on a planet that is 100% liquid?

It is possible for life to exist on a planet that is 100% liquid. Some scientists believe that these water worlds could potentially harbor microbial life forms in the oceans. However, it is currently unknown whether complex life forms could evolve in such an environment.

4. Is Earth at risk of becoming 100% liquid in the future?

No, Earth is not at risk of becoming 100% liquid in the future. While the polar ice caps are melting due to climate change, Earth is still a predominantly solid planet with only about 71% of its surface covered in water. It is unlikely that Earth will ever become 100% liquid.

5. How do scientists study planets that are 100% liquid?

Scientists study planets that are 100% liquid using a variety of methods. One way is through observations with telescopes, which can detect changes in the planet's atmosphere or surface. Another way is through simulations and experiments in laboratories, where scientists can recreate the extreme conditions found on these planets to better understand their properties and potential for life.