Would it be possible for a planet by collecting gas to become a star. I mean if it were to collect enough hydrogen, the temperature and the pressure at the surface of the planet could get high enough to start fusion ?
Related Astronomy and Astrophysics News on Phys.org
The minimum mass required for spontaneous fusion is about 10^28 Kg [around 20x the mass of Jupiter]. Assuming the composition is amenable to fusion [lots of hydrogen], the core would ignite once the former planet accumulated the necessary mass.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving