Can a pool ball come off a cushion faster than it hits it?

• Thread starter adr147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the answer to the question is yes, a pool ball can come off a cushion faster than it hits it if there is enough spin involved. This is due to the conversion of kinetic energy associated with the spin into linear motion. This is a theoretical possibility that can also happen in practice if enough spin is generated. This concept can be better understood by considering examples such as a rolling sphere, hoop, or solid disc rolling down an incline.
adr147
Physics question help required. Can a pool ball come off a cushion faster than it hits it? - something in my distant memory tells me this breaks one of Newtons laws or something like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
adr147 said:
Physics question help required. Can a pool ball come off a cushion faster than it hits it? - something in my distant memory tells me this breaks one of Newtons laws or something like that.

Yes, if there is sufficient spin involved. Imagine you play a screw shot so that the ball almost stops before it hits the cushion. It will rebound off the cushion faster than it was moving when it hit the cushion.

There are other possibilites: if someone shakes the table slightly(!) Things like that.

Where does the extra energy come from?

adr147 said:
Where does the extra energy come from?

The kinetic energy associated with the spin.

I see, now is that a theoretical possibility or does it actual happen in practice?

adr147 said:
I see, now is that a theoretical possibility or does it actual happen in practice?

If you can generate enough sidespin or backspin, you should be able to make it happen.

With enough backspin can't you make the ball move forward, stop, then move backward without hitting anything? That should make it clearer how backspin can be converted to linear motion.

Likes sophiecentaur
There are other KE of rotation + KE of translation examples to elucidate the above explanations to your question. Consider the rolling down an incline of a sphere vs hoop vs solid disc. Thinking of that example helps me understand how a billiard ball's spin prior to collision with the cushioned wall could be related to a faster rebound translational speed than the translational speed prior to the collision.

Thanks for the interesting question and discussion.

If you hit a ball with backspin, directly at a cushion, when it hits the side, its forward momentum is converted into backward momentum (with a little lost to friction since the cushion is not "perfectly elastic") but the backspin can also be converted into linear backward momentum so that the ball comes off the side faster than it hit it.

1. Can a pool ball come off a cushion faster than it hits it?

Yes, it is possible for a pool ball to come off a cushion faster than it hits it. This phenomenon is known as "rebound velocity" and depends on various factors such as the angle of incidence, the elasticity of the cushion, and the speed and spin of the ball.

2. What determines the rebound velocity of a pool ball?

The rebound velocity of a pool ball is determined by the angle of incidence, the elasticity of the cushion, and the speed and spin of the ball. These factors all play a role in how much energy is transferred from the ball to the cushion and back to the ball.

3. Can a pool ball come off a cushion faster than the initial speed it was hit with?

No, a pool ball cannot come off a cushion faster than the initial speed it was hit with. The maximum rebound velocity of a pool ball is equal to the initial speed it was hit with. This is due to the conservation of energy principle.

4. How does spin affect the rebound velocity of a pool ball?

Spin can greatly affect the rebound velocity of a pool ball. When a ball is hit with topspin, it will have a higher rebound velocity as the spin transfers energy to the cushion. Conversely, backspin will result in a lower rebound velocity as the spin absorbs energy from the cushion.

5. Is there a limit to how fast a pool ball can come off a cushion?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a pool ball can come off a cushion. This limit is determined by the initial speed of the ball, the elasticity of the cushion, and the angle of incidence. If the ball is hit too hard or at too steep of an angle, it may not rebound at all and simply roll along the cushion.