Can a Research Paper on Classical Physics make it to a good journal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's knowledge and interest in classical mechanics as they prepare to start university. They also discuss the courses and research opportunities available at the university and the possibility of publishing a research paper in a reputable journal. The speaker is advised to focus on learning and working with a professor to increase their chances of success in publishing. They also mention the website arxiv.org as a platform for sharing research papers.
interhacker
Gold Member
I am starting University in September, 2014. I have some knowledge already on classical mechanics as I took optional Applied Math courses (called Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2) in my mathematics A-Level. I am also self-studying the book Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, Poole and Safko to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

Pretty much all of the universities I am applying spend freshman year teaching Calculus, Classical Mechanics, Introuctory Chemistry, Thermodynamics and Introductory Biology. There are courses on Modern Physics, Introductory Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity in the second semester but most of the real stuff starts in the second year if you select something like Physics or (Applied or otherwise) Mathematics as a major.

Now, the thing is, I like doing experiments and formulating equations. I was just wondering if I could, perhaps, write a research paper that formulates some simple effective theory, or perhaps deals with the applications of previous classical mechanical theories in new conditions, or details new experimental ways to test those theories (excuse my vagueness, university is about nine months away and I've only started learning about this stuff) and have that research paper printed in a half-decent journal. Even if it isn't printed in a journal and I have to publish it myself via my university or otherwise, will it be important enough to be mentioned in the applications for MS and PhD. programmes of high-ranked universities like Cambridge, MIT and ETH Zurich after I complete my BS?

Physics news on Phys.org
This paper was published in PRL last year. And given the ongoing research on dynamical and non-linear systems it's obviously not impossible to find something new in classical mechanics worthy of publication, but whether you can do it depends on whether you can find an interesting new result or not. That is quite hard to tell at this point in time, especially for us.

I wouldn't stress too much about it now though. You'll probably make better use of your time at this point by focusing on learning things well. Then find an advisor at the university, and do some cool project. Chances are you'll find some other subject in physics more interesting anyway. Also, at this point you are, understandably so, not up to date on the research literature, so it'll be hard for you to know whether you are working on something original or not. In addition, professors are good at judging whether something is worthy of publication (and in which journals) when that time comes.

Added later: PRL is Physics Review Letters, probably the most prestigious journal focused on physics.

Likes 1 person
You can start by putting papers on arxiv.org. Many people will get to see them there.

Likes 2 people
Hypersphere said:
I wouldn't stress too much about it now though. You'll probably make better use of your time at this point by focusing on learning things well. Then find an advisor at the university, and do some cool project. Chances are you'll find some other subject in physics more interesting anyway. Also, at this point you are, understandably so, not up to date on the research literature, so it'll be hard for you to know whether you are working on something original or not. In addition, professors are good at judging whether something is worthy of publication (and in which journals) when that time comes.

Definitely agree with this. Maybe you could stumble on to something interesting, but you will increase your chances of success by studying hard and working with a good professor. Pretty much every school either requires a senior project or encourages students to complete an honor's project. Sometimes these are worthy of publication.

You can still do your own experiments, but most likely someone else has done them (but every once in a while somebody recognizes something simple that has not been well studied)

PS don't you need to be sponsored by an arxiv user to post on arxiv? I don't think it will be easy for a new physics undergrad to post to arxiv.

I look at the paper, and if it is worthwhile I endorse the auther.

Likes 1 person

1. Can a research paper on classical physics be published in a good journal?

Yes, it is possible for a research paper on classical physics to be published in a reputable journal. However, the paper must meet certain criteria and go through a rigorous peer-review process.

2. What are the criteria for a research paper on classical physics to be accepted in a good journal?

The paper must have a clear and well-defined research question, a thorough literature review, a sound methodology, and accurate data analysis. It should also contribute new insights or findings to the field of classical physics.

3. How important is the peer-review process for a research paper on classical physics?

The peer-review process is crucial for ensuring the quality and validity of a research paper. It involves experts in the field critically evaluating the paper and providing feedback for improvement. Without a positive peer-review, it is unlikely for a paper to be accepted in a good journal.

4. Is it necessary to have a significant breakthrough or groundbreaking discovery for a research paper on classical physics to be published in a good journal?

No, a research paper does not have to have a groundbreaking discovery to be published in a good journal. However, it should contribute new and valuable insights to the existing knowledge in the field.

5. How can I increase the chances of my research paper on classical physics being published in a good journal?

To increase the chances of your paper being published in a good journal, make sure to thoroughly research your topic, follow the journal's guidelines and formatting requirements, and carefully address any feedback provided by the peer-reviewers. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced researchers or professors in the field.