Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a Robot be Programmed to Remember its Future?

1. Mar 3, 2004 #1
    There is an interesting article I have just read which details a neat perspective of :The Physics Of 'Now'.

Just a simplified overview I want to ask this question:Can a Robot remember its Future?

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sounds suspiciously like nonsense.

- Warren

4. Mar 3, 2004 #3
    Just a simplified overview I want to ask this question:Can a Robot remember its Future?

5. Mar 3, 2004 #4

6. Mar 3, 2004 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nonsense or not, I see no connection with this and SR or GR, and don't see where else it to move it, so it's TD by default

7. Mar 3, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A robot can be programmed to decide what it will do in the future, but thats not "remembering" what it will do.

8. Mar 3, 2004 #7
    I'd love to declare this flat-out BS, but it isn't even coherent enough to make a decision about!

9. Mar 3, 2004 #8

EL

Science Advisor

What do you mean by this? Don´t you mean: When the robot will be in state 0 the second time, does it remember it´s future?

10. Mar 3, 2004 #9
    Re: Re: Can a Robot be Programmed to Remember its Future?

Perhaps you chaps..better tell James B Hartle what you all think then!
    The paper is linked below..for your valued attention.

James B Hartle..The Physics Of 'Now'.

http://uk.arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0403/0403001.pdf

PS..EL forgive me responding to your post, it happens to be the last one, I will elaborate at a later date, giving those soem time to read the actual paper.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  11. Mar 3, 2004 #10
    To PF MENTORS!

12. Mar 3, 2004 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally, it seems to me that having a bunch of well-informed mentors who all make the same decision about the same piece of nonsense makes a forum better.

- Warren

13. Mar 3, 2004 #12

EL

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Can a Robot be Programmed to Remember its Future?

Ranyart. Just so you didn´t missunderstand me. I was asking what you ment just because I didn´t understand it. Nothing else...

14. Mar 3, 2004 #13
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Robot be Programmed to Remember its Future?

I have not miss-understood you, but mearly took it that you did not read the linked paper by J B Hartle?..and you were assuming that my original post was something that I had personally made up myself?

If you have read the 'linked paper', then Yes I have missunderstood you?

Q?..have you read the paper by James B Hartle?

15. Mar 3, 2004 #14
    Now that you clearly have a deep understanding of my Original post,Just a simplified overview I want to ask this question:Can a Robot remember its Future?

16. Mar 4, 2004 #15

russ_watters

Burden of proof lies in the new idea, not the old ones. Setting aside that it sounds like meaningless gibberish, it would take quite a bit of clear, incontrovertible evidence to overturn existing theories on the workings of time, since those theories work exquisitely well.

17. Mar 4, 2004 #16

18. Mar 4, 2004 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get very unhappy when one of our robots "forgets its future" this would imply that it has lost its teach points and needs to be taught again. For some tools this process can take anywhere from several hours to several DAYS.

I say it has forgotten its future because its future it to move from park position to the cassette station, pick up a wafer deliver it to the process station, retrieve the wafer from the process and return it to the cassette. It is the fate of our robots to repeat this process 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, that is its future and past and present.

I guess my intimate relationship with real world working robots gives me a twisted view. It must be nice to dream about what you thing a robot ought be with no real world constraints. But then what is the meaning of these dreams?

19. Mar 4, 2004 #18
    Now you have really hit a nerve here:It must be nice to dream about what you thing a robot ought be with no real world constraints.

This is contained within R B Hartles paper, and one which I most would like to inquire into. Just one or two major problems that the paper gives,( JBH actually is only producing a 'toy' model), but there are some interesting aspects of the initial set-up, and the overall paper I suppose is not meant to be taken Literally (as with my initial post!).

It seems that science is turning to 'toy' models in an ever increasing fashion, but how close to reality are these meant to reflect?:wink:

20. Mar 4, 2004 #19

EL

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Robot be Programmed to Remember its Future?

No I havn´t, because it looked long and boring. But I didn´t assume you had personally made it up. I became a little interested but was too lazy to read it all. Therefore I wonder if you can answer my question or not? To be honest I don´t think I will take my time to read it. That´s the whole truth...

21. Mar 4, 2004 #20

russ_watters

That's "dumbening." Never blaspheme Lisa Simpson in my presence.
    Quite right. I summarily rejected the idea without reading the paper. Its that absurd.
    Pot=kettle. I rejected it without reading it and you are lending credence to it without reading it. Ironic, isn't it? I can promise you one thing though: the scientific community is more likely to reject this paper without reading it than to accept it without reading it. There is a reason for that.
    Good way to think about it. A hard drive or ram chip is called "memory" after all. It damn well better "remember" its future, otherwise it won't remember to do what you told it to when it gets there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?