Can a space vessel generate its own photon wind?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's "action = -reaction" law to massless particles, specifically in the context of a spaceship directing a condensed light beam on its own heat-resistant photon sail. The participants also consider the efficiency of using a parabolic reflector to direct the light beam, as well as the potential use of a suitably designed "chute" for better aerodynamics in a balloon/sail system. It is also mentioned that photons do follow Newton's 3rd Law, a manifestation of the conservation of momentum, as shown through the Compton effect.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In a nutshell, does Newton's "action = -reaction" law apply to massless particles? If a spaceship directs a condensed light beam on its own heat-resistant photon sail, what would happen?

Science news on Phys.org
One only need to determine the momentum (p = E/c = hν/c) from the source and on the sail, and consider the change in momentum of the system. Is there a net momentum or force on the spacecraft in the desired direction of travel?

Likes Clairevonne and EnumaElish
EnumaElish said:
In a nutshell, does Newton's "action = -reaction" law apply to massless particles? If a spaceship directs a condensed light beam on its own heat-resistant photon sail, what would happen?
Is the sail reflective? And what is the desired direction of travel?

Likes EnumaElish
jbriggs444 said:
Is the sail reflective? And what is the desired direction of travel?

Let's say the sail is 100% reflective and the direction is "any which way."

EnumaElish said:
Let's say the sail is 100% reflective and the direction is "any which way."
What do you think? And why?

Likes EnumaElish
EnumaElish said:

I really do not understand this. Is this what you are describing? The spaceship shoots a beam of light (yellow arrow) onto a sail (curved line in front of the ship) that is attached to the ship itself?

ship.jpg

If it is, do you not see why this doesn't work?

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
ZapperZ said:
do you not see why this doesn't work?

It does work. It just works no better than shining a flashlight out the back.

Last edited:
Likes Dr. Courtney, Wminus and EnumaElish
Vanadium 50 said:
It does work. It just works no better than shining aflashlight out the back.

But this one is different than what you described. This is the same as trying to lift yourself by pulling up on the platform that you're standing on.

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
ZapperZ said:
ship-jpg.113783.jpg

If it is, do you not see why this doesn't work?

Of course it works, but is in reality (non-ideal reflectivity) less efficient that just shining the light back.

Likes EnumaElish
I don't see it.

Make everything horizontal to make it simple. Shine the flashlight back, and you gain momentum E/c. Shine it forward, and you get a recoil of -E/c, and then when it strikes the mirror and reverses direction, a recoil of 2E/c. Add them up and you get E/c, The mirror doesn't help (it can only hurt), but essentially this is a complicated way to shine a flashlight out the back.

Likes Dr. Courtney and EnumaElish
I should have put the sail and the light going backwards, but the concept is still the same. You get recoil when the light leaves the source, but then you get the opposite impulse when it bounces off the sail. If you do this colinearly, and assume ideal condition, they all cancel out.

BTW, we still don't know yet if this is what the OP is thinking of! We might already be debating something irrelevant here.

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
ZapperZ said:
You get recoil when the light leaves the source, but then you get the opposite impulse when it bounces off the sail. If you do this colinearly, and assume ideal condition, they all cancel out.
No, they don't cancel.

Likes Wminus and EnumaElish
A.T. said:
No, they don't cancel.

Sorry, you are correct since I stated the light bounce. What I said is true if it is absorbed. I think I understand what Vanadium is saying now.

Zz.

Likes Dr. Courtney and EnumaElish
Vanadium 50 said:
Shine the flashlight back,
The arrangement as depicted is a flashlight. A parabolic reflector is how you arrange for the beam to be emitted in a particular direction in the first place.

Edit: Or, at least it was, back in the days when flashlights used incandescent filaments.

Likes phinds and EnumaElish
ZapperZ said:
What I said is true if it is absorbed.
Right, but with reflection as your picture shows you get net thrust. It works with air too, if you "divert" some of the air backwards:

Likes CynicusRex, DrClaude and EnumaElish
But then, as Vanadium stated, why not just simply shoot it out the back and get the same effect?

Zz.

Likes davenn and EnumaElish
ZapperZ said:
I really do not understand this. Is this what you are describing? The spaceship shoots a beam of light (yellow arrow) onto a sail (curved line in front of the ship) that is attached to the ship itself?

View attachment 113783

For the record: yes, this is as accurate a representation, as any, of what I meant.

ZapperZ said:
But then, as Vanadium stated, why not just simply shoot it out the back and get the same effect?

Zz.

Okay thanks. Back to the sketchbook [emoji13]

I guess this does not imply Newton's 3rd law does not apply to photons? The space traveler could eject any object to propel the ship in the opposite direction. And the same applies to light.

jbriggs444 said:
The arrangement as depicted is a flashlight. A parabolic reflector is how you arrange for the beam to be emitted in a particular direction in the first place.

Edit: Or, at least it was, back in the days when flashlights used incandescent filaments.

Some modern flashlight with LED sources also use parabolic reflectors.

EnumaElish said:
I guess this does not imply Newton's 3rd law does not apply to photons? The space traveler could eject any object to propel the ship in the opposite direction. And the same applies to light.

I don't understand (another one) the impetus or origin of this question. Why won't photons follow Newton's 3rd Law, which is a manifestation of the conservation of momentum? Haven't this been shown very clearly already via the Compton effect?

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
It's okay guys.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
If the initial source of light had a wide beam then using the reflector could improve the efficiency by directing the momentum of the beam more accurately in one direction. (Any off axis components would tend to cancel, losing energy but not gaining momentum for the ship).

That balloon / sail system would probably perform much worse than the balloon on its own because the sail has a poorly designed profile with lots of sideways spread of the ejecta. A suitably designed 'chute' at the front could work well though, I think. But aerodynamics is not an unintuitive subject. (As Colin Chapman, designer of sports cars, has remarked.)

Last edited:
Likes EnumaElish
I think everyone is getting off track. Momentum is conserved. Newton's third law still holds for massless particles and in relativity, as long as the proper form for momentum is used.

Likes jbriggs444, EnumaElish and sophiecentaur
EnumaElish said:
It's okay guys.
That's adorable!

You thought that a question - posted on a physics forum with a quarter million nerds - would stop being discussed once the question was answered?

:wink:

Likes CynicusRex, EnumaElish, DrClaude and 2 others
DaveC426913 said:
That's adorable!

You thought that a question - posted on a physics forum with a quarter million nerds - would stop being discussed once the question was answered?

:wink:
Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind! :smile:

Likes EnumaElish and Dr. Courtney
I think it has been established that it will work, but not any better than shining a light out the back.

In the same way, throwing rubber balls at a (hard) sail will work as long as they bounce rearward so the net momentum of the balls is rearward.

Consequently, the way momentum conservation works (in this application) is the same for light as for matter.

The fan and sail do not usually work, because the sail redirects the wind from the fan to the sides rather than to the rear.

Likes EnumaElish

1. Can a space vessel generate its own photon wind?

Yes, it is possible for a space vessel to generate its own photon wind through various methods such as laser propulsion or solar sails. These techniques use photons from a light source to create thrust and propel the spacecraft forward.

2. How does a space vessel generate a photon wind?

A space vessel can generate a photon wind through different mechanisms, such as using solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity and then powering a laser or ion thruster. Another method is by using reflective sails that capture and reflect photons from a light source, creating a force that propels the spacecraft forward.

3. What is the purpose of generating a photon wind in space travel?

Generating a photon wind is crucial for space travel as it provides a constant and renewable source of energy for propulsion. This allows spacecraft to travel farther and faster in the vacuum of space without relying on traditional rocket fuel.

4. Are there any limitations to a space vessel generating its own photon wind?

While generating a photon wind has its advantages, there are also limitations. One limitation is the amount of energy that can be generated and the efficiency of the propulsion system. Another limitation is the direction and strength of the photon wind, which can be affected by factors such as the angle of the light source or the shape of the reflective sail.

5. Can a space vessel generate a photon wind in any direction?

Yes, a space vessel can generate a photon wind in any direction by adjusting the angle and position of the light source or the reflective sail. This allows for more flexibility in controlling the spacecraft's movement and direction in space.