Momentum w/o Net Velocity? Exploring the Lorentz Factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an asymmetric system having momentum with zero average velocity through the nonlinearity of the Lorentz factor in Special Relativity. However, the concept of average velocity is questioned and it is pointed out that in classical physics, momentum is linearly proportional to velocity. The idea of "hidden momentum" is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the imbalance in momentum. Overall, it is concluded that there is no mystery and the net momentum is zero if the net velocity is zero.
Andy Bloch
(I hope this post doesn't cross the border into the forbidden realm of quackery and speculation.) I have what seems like a simple question about Special Relativity but I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere, nor has anyone I've asked.

Does the nonlinearity of the Lorentz factor provide a way for an asymmetric system to have momentum with zero average velocity, and vice-versa?

Consider this example:
nparticles.png

There are N + 1 identical particles in this system. At any time, there is one particle (an electron, perhaps) moving to the left with relativistic velocity v (relative to the laboratory frame), and N particles moving to the right with velocity v/N. The process can be repeated continuously. There is no net movement of the system. But, it seems that the total (relativistic) momentum is non-zero. The total momentum to the left is (assuming v/N << c):

ptotal = γ m v - N m v / N = (γ-1) m v

where γ is the Lorentz factor.

Is there something I am missing?

Yes, I've ignored the periods of acceleration. But (1) if the clock hypothesis is true, making those periods very short should make any effect negligible, and (2) if the acceleration periods did affect the total momentum and exactly canceled it out, then changing the acceleration curve would have to have no effect on the total momentum. That doesn't seem likely to me.

(No, this would not seem to be a good way to power a spacecraft . It does not provide a constant thrust, just an initial velocity boost. I've done some calculations, with very generous assumptions, that suggest that even a velocity on the order of 1 m/s would not currently be feasible.)

I'm hoping someone here can quickly show me what is wrong with my math or reasoning, or provide a reference where this has been discussed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attachments

• nparticles.png
    nparticles.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by ”average velocity”? Velocity is an intensive property, not an extensive one.

How are you stopping the particles and turning them round? Have you accounted for the momentum transfer inherent in that?

Ibix said:
How are you stopping the particles and turning them round? Have you accounted for the momentum transfer inherent in that?
The amount of momentum transfer when accelerating a particle is the same as decelerating it back to zero velocity, but in opposite directions, so there should be no net momentum transfer.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by ”average velocity”? Velocity is an intensive property, not an extensive one.
I probably should have written "net movement" instead of "average velocity."

Andy Bloch said:
The amount of momentum transfer when accelerating a particle is the same as decelerating it back to zero velocity, but in opposite directions, so there should be no net momentum transfer.
The key word there is "net". You need to get the energy absorbed in slowing the particle at one end up to the other end to accelerate the next one. And the mechanism that does that will carry momentum - presumably exactly enough to correct for your imbalance.

Likes Andy Bloch and Dale
Say Train whose mass is M kg, goes 1m/s and a passenger whose mass is m kg, is running -1m/s in the system of station. Average velocity of the two is zero but total momentum is (M-m)*1 kg m/s. I am sorry for this word trick.

Last edited:
Andy Bloch said:
I probably should have written "net movement" instead of "average velocity."

In classical physics, momentum is linearly proportional to velocity. So, in a system of particles of equal mass, the net momentum is zero iff the net velocity is zero. By this, I mean simply adding the velocity vectors for each particle.

In SR, momentum is no longer linearly proportional to velocity. In a system of particles of equal mass with zero net momentum, typically the net velocity is not zero.

You've essentially found this yourself through your calculations. There's no mystery as far as I can see.

There is no reasonable way of defining ”net movement” other than movement of the center of energy. This is given by the net momentum divided by the total energy. If the net momentum is zero so is the movement of the center of energy (for a closed system). It makes no sense whatsoever to define net movement by summing particle velocities. Again, velocity is intensive, not extensive. The extrnsive properties are energy and momentum.

Likes Andy Bloch
Ibix said:
The key word there is "net". You need to get the energy absorbed in slowing the particle at one end up to the other end to accelerate the next one. And the mechanism that does that will carry momentum - presumably exactly enough to correct for your imbalance.
This was the most helpful answer. Yes, transferring the energy back to the other end will offset the momentum difference.

Google "hidden momentum". This concept is well-known in classical electrodynamics, though rather controversial.

Eugene.

1. What is momentum without net velocity?

Momentum without net velocity refers to the momentum of an object that is not moving or has a net velocity of zero. This can occur when an object has equal and opposite velocities, cancelling each other out.

2. How is momentum without net velocity calculated?

Momentum without net velocity is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. However, since the net velocity is zero, the momentum will also be zero.

3. What is the Lorentz factor and how is it related to momentum without net velocity?

The Lorentz factor is a term used in special relativity to describe the relationship between an object's momentum and its velocity. It is calculated by taking the square root of 1 minus the square of the object's velocity divided by the speed of light squared. In the case of momentum without net velocity, the Lorentz factor would be equal to 1, indicating that there is no relativistic effect on the object's momentum.

4. Can an object have momentum without net velocity?

Yes, an object can have momentum without net velocity as long as its net velocity is zero. This can occur when the object is at rest or when it has equal and opposite velocities that cancel each other out.

5. Why is it important to explore the Lorentz factor in relation to momentum without net velocity?

Exploring the Lorentz factor in relation to momentum without net velocity allows us to better understand the effects of special relativity on the momentum of objects. It also helps us to accurately calculate the momentum of objects in various scenarios, including when they are not moving or have a net velocity of zero.