Can a thermoelectric cooler be used as a thermoelectric generator?

• Thread starter nu_hash
  • Start date
The title should be self explanatory, the only reason I ask this is because thermoelectric coolers are ridiculously cheap compared to a thermoelectric generator.

Is there anything I need to check when using a cooler as a generator, I am expecting temperatures on the cold to be around 20C and hot around 200C. Would high temperatures damage the coolers even though are rated high enough?

Answers and Replies

I am afraid the energy conversion is irreversible in the thermoelectric cooler. It is like as one cannot generate electricity by cooling a freon refrigerator.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i believe it is reversible
but inefficient

get one and give it a try.

the thermocouple effect works both ways

but any fans or active electronics will have to be dealt with separately.

Thermoelectric cooler is inefficient by itself. If a reverted action is possible, according to logics, the inefficient thermoel. cooler could be turned into an efficient electricity generator ?!

Last edited:
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
......efficient electricity generator ?!

a not very efficient one i would think.

It'd be of course limited by Carnot efficiency, difference between hot and cold sources.

A google search on 'thermo electric generator efficiency' took me to several outfits selling them. They're more practical than i thought.

http://www.tegpower.com/
electrochem.org