Can all energy be seen?

• Thread starter Emissive
  • Start date
Particles emit and absorb light of certain quanta and various factors can then red or blue shift this energy. Does this mean light sometimes gets shifted into a frequency which is unable to be absorbed by any particle and therefore can longer be 'seen'? (At least until it is shifted further...)

Answers and Replies

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
It certainly is possible to red or blue shift light out of the visible spectrum.

Of course. Although I am thinking about all em waves...

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So you really want to know if there are EM waves that can't be blocked?

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Of course. Although I am thinking about all em waves...
Well if you are not specifically interested in the visible portion of the spectrum then a red shifted EM wave is still an EM wave. You cannot red or blue shift so much that it ceases to be an EM wave of some wavelength.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Particles emit and absorb light of certain quanta and various factors can then red or blue shift this energy. Does this mean light sometimes gets shifted into a frequency which is unable to be absorbed by any particle and therefore can longer be 'seen'? (At least until it is shifted further...)
To my knowledge, no matter how long the wavelength there is still a small chance for an object to absorb a small part of its energy.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
There is no frequency of EM that is undetectable. However, the power loss on long paths (for red shift to be relevant) will mean that detection gets increasingly difficult because the signal to noise ratio gets progressively worse.
Different techniques are necessary / available for different frequencies and this may be relevant to detectability.