Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Can amnesia be caused by a specific drug?

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Can amnesia be caused by a specific drug?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2
    Alcohol.

What's your interest in this?

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    Well I mean long-term amnesia

I was just wondering, there's no like, bad motive or anything

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    Severe alcoholics often get to a point where they will buy a drink or bottle rather than a meal. Over time they become malnourished, not getting enough of all the necessary vitamins. A deficiency in a certain B vitamin will lead to the permanent destruction of their ability to form new memories. This is called "Korsakov's Syndrome."

Oliver Sacks describes just such a patient in his book The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat in chapter 2: The Lost Mariner. The man couldn't remember anything that happened more than ten minutes previously.

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    But what, if anything, can destroy previous memories?

Thanks

7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    Do you have memories you want to destroy?

8. Sep 20, 2005 #7
    No but like earlier I was talking to someone about one brain connecting to another brain and they said the information wouldn't accumulate it would conflict. I was wondering is there a drug or something that would cause amneisa so that the information wouldn't conflict

(I mean hypothetically)

9. Sep 20, 2005 #8
    You're still trying to come up with some hare-brained, spare-brain scheme.

10. Sep 20, 2005 #9
    Well I was just wondering about amnesia out of curiousity too
    but you never answered the original question, so...whatever. at least the hare-brained/spare brained thing was kinda funny insulting too but oh well

11. Sep 21, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Drugs like Vicodin have amnesic properties. They don't cause loss of older memories, but prevent the formation of new memories while you're under the influence of them, so you don't remember anything that happened while you were taking the drug. It doesn't work for everyone though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?