Can any action be classified as good or bad? Like say, two people

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of actions as good or bad. It is mentioned that actions can be classified based on individual judgment and there is no absolute value to anything. The conversation also touches upon the idea of good and bad being rooted in evolutionary fitness and consequentialist ideals. The concept of moral principles is also briefly mentioned.
chound
Can any action be classified as good or bad?
Like say, two people equally good are vying for a job. The manager chooses A instead of B, it is good for A but bad for B isn't it?

Also if one wanted to create some good, like say set up and industry to give jobs to the local populace he has to destroy whatever was in that site (meaning vegetation, animals, etc) which is bad!
Is there some law of conservation of good and bad like the amount of good one creates an equivalent bad has to be done?

Physics news on Phys.org

Just to answer your first question really quick..

Yes, actions can be classified as good or bad.
You can actually classify anything as whatever you want.
If you are implying some absolute good or bad, then I don't believe in that.
I believe good or bad is based on judgment from people who decide it is good or bad, and that there is no absolute value to anything.

famous zen story about that...a man's son broke his leg, and neighbors cried to him, "how unfortunate". then a war caused young men to be conscripted, and most died, and because of his leg, the son was exempted, and the neighbors cried, "how fortunate". and so on and so on, the classification kept changing as new information came in.

first we have to answer the question 'can anything be classified as anything'? or is everything subjective?

It seems to me that you would have to invoke some short of theological or related authority to lend the notions of good or bad any absolutist foundations. Good and bad, I think are more soundly rooted in consequentialist ideals of relative suffering. However, as far as evolutionary fitness is concerned, good and bad seem to have sharp distinctions. Qualities of honesty, trustworthiness, respect, and concern for others have roots in origins of group interactions, and reciprocal altruism-qualities fashioned for group stability that increased the liklihood of survival. From this perspective, I suppose one could have a solid basis for distinguishing good and bad. Steven Pinker even suggests the ontological reality of moral principals in the same way as the Platonic conception of numbers, but I have reservations with this approach.

1. Can any action be classified as good or bad?

It depends on the perspective and values of the individuals involved. One person's idea of a good action may be different from another person's. Additionally, cultural and societal norms also play a role in determining whether an action is considered good or bad.

2. How can we determine if an action is good or bad?

There is no universal criteria for determining the morality of an action. However, many ethical theories and philosophies exist that provide guidelines for evaluating the goodness or badness of an action. These can include factors such as intention, consequences, and moral principles.

3. Is it possible for an action to be both good and bad?

Yes, it is possible for an action to have both positive and negative consequences. For example, a person may lie to protect someone's feelings, which could be seen as a good action, but it could also harm the trust in the relationship, making it a bad action.

4. Can two people have different opinions on whether an action is good or bad?

Absolutely. Our individual beliefs, experiences, and values shape our perspectives on what is considered good or bad. It is common for people to have differing opinions on the morality of an action, even when faced with the same situation.

5. What role does context play in determining if an action is good or bad?

Context can have a significant impact on the classification of an action as good or bad. The same action can have different moral implications depending on the circumstances surrounding it. For example, stealing food to feed a hungry family during a crisis may be seen as a good action, but stealing for personal gain is typically considered bad.