Solving Equations: Perpendicular Lines and Planes in 3D Space

• Thread starter mohdfasieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary, hallsofIvy helped me solve the equations for the plane that contains the point (3/2,1,3/2) and perpendicular to the line x-1=(1-y)/2=(z-2)/3.
mohdfasieh
Hello

Plz please tell me the solutions of these question :

I have tried the questions many time but not getting the exact logic please help me

1): Find equation of straight line perpendicular to x-1=(y-1)/2=(z+2)/3 and (x+2)/2=5-y=(z+3)/2 and passing through their point of intersection .

2):Find equation of plane passing through the point (1,0.-1) and (3,2,2) and parallel to the line x-1=(1-y)/2=(z-2)/3

3):Find equation of straight line passing through midpoint of AB ,perpendicular to AB and lies in the plane x=z where A(1,-1,1) and B(2,1,2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Geniuses? Will you settle for me?

mohdfasieh said:
1): Find equation of straight line perpendicular to x-1=(y-1)/2=(z+2)/3 and (x+2)/2=5-y=(z+3)/2 and passing through their point of intersection .

The line x-1= (y-1)/2= (z+2)/3 has parametric equation x= 1+ t, y= 1+ 2t, z= -2+ 3t (setting t to be the common value above).
The line (x+2)/2= 5- y= (z+3)/2 has parametric equation x= -2+ 2s, y=5- s, z= -3+ 2s.

Set x= x, y= y, z= z in the two above to determine where they intersect. (That's three equations in two unknown variables, s and t. In general two lines do not intersect in 3 dimensions but you are told that these do.) Vectors in the direction of the two lines are i+ 2j+ 3k and 2i- j+ 2k. The cross product of those will give you a vector perpendicular to both.

2):Find equation of plane passing through the point (1,0.-1) and (3,2,2) and parallel to the line x-1=(1-y)/2=(z-2)/3
To find the equation of a plane, you need a vector perpendicular to that plane. A vector in the the plane is (3-1)i+ (2-0)j+ (2-(-1))k= 2i+ 2j+ 3k. Another vector in the plane is i+ 2j+ 3z (from the given line). Their cross product is perpendicular to the plane. Use either of the given points to determine the equation of the plane.

3):Find equation of straight line passing through midpoint of AB ,perpendicular to AB and lies in the plane x=z where A(1,-1,1) and B(2,1,2)
The midpoint of AB is ((1+2)/2, (-1+ 1)/2, (1+ 3)/2)= (3/2, 1, 3/2) and a vector in the direction of AB is (2-1)i+ (1-(-1))j+ (2-1)k= i+ 2j+ k. The plane perependicular to that vector, containing that point (x- 3/2)+ 2(y- 1)+ (z- 3/2)= 0. The line you are looking for is the intersection of that plane and z= x. You can solve those two equations for 2 of x, y, z in terms of the third and then use that third as a parameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
thz HallsofIvy for helping me thz a lot

Hey hallsoivy.. check out my post.. wana help me out?

1. How do you determine if two lines in 3D space are perpendicular?

In order for two lines to be perpendicular, their direction vectors must be orthogonal, meaning they are at a 90 degree angle to each other. This can be determined by finding the dot product of the direction vectors and checking if it equals zero.

2. What is the equation for a plane in 3D space?

The equation for a plane in 3D space is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

3. How do you find the point of intersection between two planes in 3D space?

To find the point of intersection between two planes, you must solve the system of equations formed by the two plane equations. This can be done by using substitution or elimination methods.

4. Can two planes be parallel in 3D space?

Yes, two planes can be parallel in 3D space if they have the same normal vector, meaning they are facing in the same direction. This can be determined by comparing the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables in the plane equations.

5. What is the significance of solving equations involving perpendicular lines and planes in 3D space?

Solving equations involving perpendicular lines and planes in 3D space is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It allows for the calculation of distances, angles, and intersections between objects in a three-dimensional environment, which is crucial in many real-life applications.