Can any one me identify this object?

• Thread starter wild69er
  • Start date
In summary, the object in question is possibly a Victorian period cistern pull or the working end of a pestle, made of semi-polished marble with tapered threads and a threaded hole. It has a hole all the way through for securing a chain and resembles other online cistern pulls. However, it does not show the expected wear of a pestle and the thread does not match a wood thread. If made of marble, it would have been drilled and tapped with a bolt in a lathe for polishing. There may be other pieces nearby that could provide more information about the larger object it was a part of. Using a metal detector could help uncover more clues.
wild69er
P1020362.JPG
P1020363.JPG
P1020365.JPG
P1020364.JPG
P1020366.JPG
I dug up this object with a rototiller on a friend of mines lot that he has owned for 40 years. I believe this is made of marble. It is semi polished. The inside threads are tapered. I have given the dimensions below. Please help.
LENGTH 3.75"
TAPERED WIDTH 2.25" to 1.50"
THREADED HOLE WIDTH .75"
HOLE DEPTH 1.75"
WEIGHT 12oz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be a Victorian period cistern pull .

A brass fitting goes in the hole and this is connected via chain to the cistern lever .

Most commonly made of china , ivory or wood .

A slightly more posh one

Likes CWatters
It could also be the working end of a pestle .

http://ab.wsimgs.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201614/0096/porcelain-mortar-pestle-c.jpg

Likes Buckleymanor
Of the two the pestle is the one.I had one like it.
The cistern pull has a hole all the way through it to secure the chain.
The pestle is smooth so it can grind.

It could be the marble handle of almost anything from an earlier time. Obviously the wooden part has rotted away. I would be looking for other pieces to see if you can't cobble some parts together and then get a better idea of what the greater object is. If you find something else don't forget to mark its location and its distance from the original object. Then you'll get a better idea of the size of the larger object that this marble handle is a part of.

And, yes, it does resemble a cistern pull. I actually looked at some online and they are usually connected to a metal fitting which is connected to a chain. I'd be sweeping the area in your garden with a metal detector. That is if you're still interested. Sometimes it's fun to do these little personal 'anthropology' projects.

It does not have the end wear expected on a pestle.

The thread does not look like a wood thread. Most brass tube is threaded with 26 tpi. What is the pitch of the thread ?

If marble, the hole would be drilled and tapped, then a bolt in a lathe would hold the article while the profile was cut and polished.

Baluncore said:
It does not have the end wear expected on a pestle.

The thread does not look like a wood thread. Most brass tube is threaded with 26 tpi. What is the pitch of the thread ?

If marble, the hole would be drilled and tapped, then a bolt in a lathe would hold the article while the profile was cut and polished.
And even if it was wood, there should probably still be a brass or copper fitting. That's why he should go back in with a metal detector. Any mystery is a good mystery.

1. What is the object in question?

The object in question is a physical item or entity that you are seeking to identify. It could be anything from a piece of technology to a plant or animal.

2. How can I identify this object?

There are several methods for identifying an object, such as conducting research, consulting with experts, and using identification tools like field guides or databases.

3. Why is it important to identify objects?

Identifying objects can provide valuable information about their properties, origins, and potential uses. It can also aid in understanding the world around us and making informed decisions.

4. What information do I need to provide for identification?

To accurately identify an object, it is helpful to provide details such as its physical characteristics, location, and any known background information. Photos or samples may also be necessary in some cases.

5. Can any object be identified?

In most cases, yes. However, some objects may be difficult to identify without advanced equipment or specialized knowledge. It is also possible that an object may be too obscure or unique to be easily identified.