Can anybody help me with taylor series/differential equations?

• Thread starter jeebs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the Taylor series for a function satisfying a given differential equation with initial conditions. The conversation also includes the speaker expressing their lack of knowledge about Taylor series and asking for instructions on how to tackle the problem. The summary also includes the speaker's limited attempt at the solution, proving that the x^2 term does not appear in the final answer. The conversation then provides further instructions on how to find the coefficients for the power series solution.
jeebs
This is for revision purposes (not homework so I am not trying to cheat my way out of it!) and its too late in the week to see my lecturer about this. I don't have much of an attempt at the solution because i haven't got a clue where to start. It looks like just a short one though. Here goes...

I've got this problem, show that the taylor series for the function y=y(x) satisfying the differential equation

d^2y / dx^2 - (x^3)dy/dx = tan^-1(x)

with initial conditions y(0) = y'(0) = 1, begins

y = 1 + x + (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/30 +...

where

tan^-1(x) = x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)/5 -...i don't really have a clue what I am meant to do here. I am pretty new to Taylor series. could somebody give me some instructions about how to tackle this problem?

thanks.all I've got so far is:

the n=0 term is 1, and the coefficient of x is just 1, and also

d^2y / dx^2 - (x^3)dy/dx = x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)/5 -...

d^2y / dx^2 - 0(1) = 0 therefore d^2y / dx^2 = 0 when x = 0 (y''(0) = 0)

so i that's proven that the x^2 term does not appear in the final answer. other than that i am stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have [tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - x^3 \frac{dy}{dx} = x - \frac{x^3}{3} + \frac{x^5}{5} + \cdots[/tex]

and you want a power series solution of the form [tex] y= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/tex] where you need to find the coefficients [tex] a_n [/tex] from n=0 to 5

So differentiate the sum, twice, then plug in what you get and compare coefficients on both sides

1. What is a Taylor series and why is it important in solving differential equations?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is important in solving differential equations because it allows us to approximate the value of a function at any point, even if the function is not explicitly defined.

2. How do I find the coefficients for a Taylor series?

The coefficients for a Taylor series can be found by taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the Taylor series formula. Alternatively, you can also use known patterns or recurrence relations to find the coefficients.

3. Can I use a Taylor series to approximate any function?

Yes, a Taylor series can be used to approximate any function as long as the function is infinitely differentiable at the point of approximation.

4. How accurate is a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can I use a Taylor series to solve differential equations with initial conditions?

Yes, a Taylor series can be used to solve differential equations with initial conditions by finding the coefficients that satisfy the initial conditions and using the series to approximate the solution at any point.