Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody help please

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    I have got a general solution for the equation

xy'' - y' + 4x^3y = 0, x > 0

by converting to the normal version of the self adjoint form and solving with an auxiliary equation I have

y = Acos(2x) + Bsin(2x)

It then asks to select two independent solutions and verify the wronskian satisfies Abel's identity.

Can I simply set A = 0, B = 1 for y1 and A = 1, B = 0 for y2

I did this and I got 1 for the wronskian and kx for Abel's which doesn't prove it!!!

Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong please

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If y= A cos(2x)+ B sin(2x), y'= -2A sin(2x)+ 2B cos(2x), and y"= -4Acos(2x)- 4Bsin(2x).
    Putting those into the equation gives:
    xy'' - y' + 4x^3y = -4Axcos(2)- 4Bxsin(2x)+ 2Asin(2x)- 2Bcos(2x)+ 4x^3Acos(2x)+ 4x^3Bsin(2x) which is definitely NOT equal to 0. y= Acos(2x)+ Bsin(2x) does NOT satisfy the equation.

Yes, dividing the equation by 1/x2 puts it into self-adjoint form but what did you do from there?

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    I put it into the normal version of the self adjoint form.

Where d/dx{p(x)dy/dx}+q(x)y=0

t = integral of 1/p(x) = x^3/3

dt/dx = x^2

dy/dx = dy/dt.dt/dx = dy/dt.x^2

etc.

Then solved using the auxiliary equation. It probably is my working that is wrong, however the question I really needed answering is; if I get a solution to the differential equation, to get two linearly independent solutions from the general solution can I simply assign values to the constants.

Thank you for your response

5. May 10, 2009 #4
    I get m=+-sqrt(-4)

=+-2i

y = exp(alpha*x){Acos(beta*x)+Bcos(beta*x)}

where alpha is real and beta is imaginary

therefore

alpha is = 0

beta is = 2

y = Acos(2x)+Bsin(2x)

6. May 10, 2009 #5
    my values were for t not x, I forgot to substitute them back in

y = Acos(2t) + Bsin(2t) where t = x^2/2

it works now

Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook