1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody see a mathematical relationship here?

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    Hi. I was playing with the square of numbers for a few hours, and I can up with this set of numbers, can anybody show me a relationship?

P X D
    ______
    2 2 2
    _______
    3 3 6
    _______
    4 4 24
    _______
    5 5 120
    _______

I cannot see a relationship :surprised But there has to be. Any help?

--eNathan (3.14)

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What exactly were you playing around with ? That'll help us to explain the relationship better.

Anyway, [tex]2 ! = 2, 3 ! = 6, 4 ! = 24, 5 ! = 120[/tex], the last column appears to comprise factorials of the identical first two column numbers.

4. May 23, 2005 #3
    What do all the '!' mean? I though != is innequality <>

5. May 23, 2005 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No that's computer speak (for example, C programming uses that).

'!' in Maths is factorial. [tex]n! = 1.2.3....(n-1)(n)[/tex], the sequential product of all natural numbers less than or equal to n. It is only defined for nonnegative integers, with 0! = 1 (by definition). (There is an extension of factorial for non-integers called the gamma function, but you don't have to worry about that for now).

OK, so what were you doing, maybe I or someone else can help you understand the pattern.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  6. May 24, 2005 #5

uart

Science Advisor

n, n, n! Other than that what were you looking for?

7. May 24, 2005 #6
    I am asking, givin this set

P X D
    ______
    2 2 2
    _______
    3 3 6
    _______
    4 4 24
    _______
    5 5 120

I am saying, is there any way to mathematicly manipulate P, and X to get the value of D? For the first one, I guess you could do P / X * P = D, but that would not work for the second one. For the second one you could do P + X = D, but that would not work for the third one. And I dont even know how you can mathematicly manipulate 4 and 4 to get 24, I suppose (PX + (2X)) but that makes no sense. I will try to explain how I got these numbers when I have the time I am at school ATM.

8. May 24, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer, from that set, is D=P! and is independent of X (though as X=P that is debatable).

I think everyone wishses you to state what P, X and D are.

9. May 24, 2005 #8

uart

Science Advisor

Yes of course. As already pointed out D=factorial(P) and X is just redundant.

10. May 24, 2005 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?