Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone defines physics?

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    Today, my lecturer asked us to define physics. No one give a very obvious and correct answer to the lecturer. Can anyone here give me the best defination of the meaning of physics?? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    the study of the behaviour of matter/energy and spacetime?

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3
    I would say it's more along the lines of the study of how physical systems change.

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4
    studying anythign the scale of chemistry or smaller.

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5
    The study of conservation of energy in the universe

marlon

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physics : It's what the physicists do ! :biggrin:

Why is this in QM ? I'm moving it to GP.

8. Jul 11, 2005 #7
    Another very personal/anthropomorphic view : ):

Physics is the use of logic for both the description and the prediction of the objects of our environment.

Seratend

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Physics: The study of matter, energy, and space time

10. Jul 11, 2005 #9
    I think, physics is concerned with the (temporary) state of things. That includes searching for the basic laws of nature and their interacrion. Chemistry is concerned with how things change (on a bigger scale, of course).

11. Jul 11, 2005 #10
    Physics: the study of the lifeless nature

12. Jul 11, 2005 #11
    Physics is the method we using to explain what we observed.

13. Jul 11, 2005 #12
    Physics is the mathematical study of all conceivable universes. A universe is a mathematical model that describes spacetime, matter, energy and their interactions. Think of each model universe as filling one page in the atlas of all possible universes.

“Philosophy is written in this grand book, the universe, ... But the book cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language and read the characters in which it is written. It is written in the language of mathematics.” - Galileo Galilei.

14. Jul 11, 2005 #13
    what's biophysics doing as a subdiscipline of physics then? or soft condensed matter physics whichs studies plenty of organic materials?

15. Jul 11, 2005 #14
    I personally prefere the following definition: physics is mathematics constrained by objective observable reality.

16. Jul 11, 2005 #15
    Study and analysis of nature.

17. Jul 11, 2005 #16
    Since when is an organic material alive?

18. Jul 11, 2005 #17
    that's a bit too broad of a definition. that's...more of a definition of science in general. :tongue:

another vote for the study of matter, energy, and spacetime. :biggrin:

19. Jul 11, 2005 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, the broad definition of what science is has more in common with the definition of what physics is, than it does with chemistry and biology. For example, if we go by the question of "What is Science" as addressed by the APS statement below:

http://www.aps.org/statements/99_6.cfm

One would see that this would not make any difference if one replaces "Science" with "physics".

Zz.

20. Jul 11, 2005 #19
    Well, this is what i got from Answers.com.

Seems like the point is that Physics is the study of the interactions.

21. Jul 11, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the pouring of HCl into NaOH not an interaction ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?