Can anyone explain to me what is string theory mathematically?

In summary: Yes, perturbative string theory equations CAN actually be written down. That's not to say that's the definition of string theory or that it passes physical checks - for e.g. does the perturbative series add up in a sensible way - that is is perturbative super symmetric string theory Borel summable? (the Bosonic string theory isn't).
XtremePhysX

Physics news on Phys.org

Unlikely you'll get a comprehensive answer to such a general question here. Have you tried wikipedia/google?

XtremePhysX said:

bapowell said:
Unlikely you'll get a comprehensive answer to such a general question here. Have you tried wikipedia/google?

That is a good suggestion! Also there is no one unique set of mathematical equations or physical principles defining "String theory". It is easier to describe what String is as a research program.

To some extent the String Program is defined by the annual Strings conference, which was excellent this year! Very well organized, with high quality video of all 40 talks currently available online.

David Gross is usually the person chosen to give a kind of "State of the Program" talk at the annual Strings conference, and this year (as he often does) he gave the final talk of the conference, titled "Vision and Outlook". You might want to watch the video!

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/videos/strings2012/gross/index.html

As I recall he says things like: There are some missing pieces. String is more of a "framework" than a definite theory. "We" (the string community) do not know what the theory actually is. He presents 3 main questions he hopes will be answered in his lifetime. It is an upbeat, optimistic and inspiring talk---and rightly titled "Vision and Outlook."

This talk is similar to ones that Gross gave at other Strings conferences (madrid 2007, geneva 2008, rome 2009, texas 2010, sweden 2011) but I found it, if anything, more hopeful and inspiring this time. One should definitely watch it to get an idea of what String framework/community/program is about--what the researchers are interested in, what they are doing, what the outlook is, etc.

There are a whole bunch of interesting talks online at the Strings 2012 conference website:
http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/videos/strings2012/index.html
Ooguri's was a pretty good catalog (thumbnails and highlights) talk. My overall favorite, of those I watched, was Strominger's. But it depends on what you are interested in.

Last edited:
Is string theory confirmed to be true? I read somewhere that the mathematical proving behind it is very logical that's why I'm asking for a mathematical explanation.

XtremePhysX said:
Is string theory confirmed to be true?
No.

And there is, so far, no one unique theory. There is, Gross stressed in his talk, a framework of ideas within which one can construct many theories (so far none of them completely agreeing with the real world.)

I read somewhere that the mathematical proving behind it is very logical that's why I'm asking for a mathematical explanation.

:confused: :rolleyes: :uhh:

Can't perturbative string theory be explained mathematically?

sashickman said:
Can't perturbative string theory be explained mathematically?
Sure. After all, string theory is a mathematical framework. But that is different from the OP's question of whether string theory can be somehow shown to be correct via mathematical proof. The two main problems with this: 1) it's a physical theory and so it must be subject to experimental verification and 2) as Marcus has mentioned, the core principles of the theory are unknown.

The core principles aren't known - it's important to realize that people don't yet know how to define `string theory'.

I think sashickman was just saying that with perturbative string theory equations CAN actually be written down. That's not to say that's the definition of string theory or that it passes physical checks - for e.g. does the perturbative series add up in a sensible way - that is is perturbative super symmetric string theory Borel summable? (the Bosonic string theory isn't).

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that describes the fundamental nature of particles as tiny strings instead of point particles. It aims to reconcile Einstein's theory of general relativity with quantum mechanics and unify all the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How is string theory related to mathematics?

String theory is heavily reliant on mathematics, specifically advanced concepts in geometry and algebra. The theory uses mathematical equations and models to describe the behavior of strings and their interactions with each other.

3. What is the mathematical representation of string theory?

The mathematical representation of string theory is complex and involves many advanced mathematical concepts such as differential geometry, topology, and group theory. The theory is often described using equations from quantum field theory and general relativity, which are combined to form a consistent mathematical framework.

4. Are there any mathematical predictions or evidence for string theory?

String theory is still a highly debated and speculative theory, and there is currently no experimental evidence to support it. However, some mathematical predictions of the theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions and supersymmetry, have gained some support from experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. Is string theory the only theory that attempts to unify the fundamental forces of nature?

No, there are other theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that also attempt to unify the fundamental forces of nature. However, string theory is currently the most popular and well-known candidate for a theory of everything, despite its lack of experimental evidence.