Exploring a Career in Theoretical Physics

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in working in the field of physics, particularly in the theoretical aspect. They have a few questions, such as who hires theoretical physicists, what education is required, and whether going to a prestigious university is necessary. They also ask about the difficulty of majoring in theoretical physics and whether top grades are necessary for employment. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read a guide on becoming a physicist and providing more information on what the speaker envisions a scientist in quantum physics doing.
justpassinby
First of all, I know it's a big field. But, currently, I don't know where exactly I would like working in it so I'm just asking like the most generalized explanation. I would probably prefer more in the theoretical part of the field (which might just be all of it [emoji23] ). A few major questions I have are:
1. Who even hires me? The government? An university?
2. Would I need a bachelor's degree or master's degree? In Physics or Astronomy (or a mix of both)?
3. Does it matter whether I go to an esteemed university? Well, of course it matters, but is it kind of mandatory? Like they just throw away your resume if you haven't gone to at least a top 50-75 in the world?
4. How tough is a major in theoretical physics? I've heard people say that you need to be top 3 in a class of 150 for the employers to notice you? Is this true?

Thanks in advance for responding. [emoji1]

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably the best place to start in looking for answers for your questions:
So You Want to be a Physicist

People around here can answer more specific questions once you've gone through that. It might also help if you could describe a little more about what you envision a "scientist in Quantum Physics" doing. Many physicists apply quantum mechanics in their work and in different branches, or sub-fields of physics.

Likes justpassinby and CalcNerd

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the underlying principles that govern the universe.

2. What does a career in theoretical physics involve?

A career in theoretical physics typically involves conducting research, developing and testing theories, and collaborating with other scientists. This can also include teaching and mentoring students, writing papers and publications, and attending conferences and seminars to share and discuss findings.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in theoretical physics?

Some important skills for a career in theoretical physics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, computer programming skills, and a deep curiosity and passion for understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

4. What educational background is required for a career in theoretical physics?

Most careers in theoretical physics require a PhD in physics or a related field. A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is necessary, as well as experience with computer programming and data analysis. Some experience in research and publishing is also beneficial.

5. What are some potential career opportunities in theoretical physics?

Some potential career opportunities in theoretical physics include working in academia as a professor or researcher, working in research and development for private companies or government agencies, or applying theoretical physics principles to other fields such as engineering, finance, or data science.