1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me with the AMC 10 P 2002

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    Hi all, im new to physicsforums, so i just want to get to know yall. im a sophomore and takin alg II, i have an AMC test coming up on February 9. and my teacher gave me a review packet. there are only 25 questions but they are like the hardest questions ive ever seen. So if theres someone has already taken the test, and can help me out with those questions, i would rly appreciate it. i dont need the answer, i just want to know how to solve the problems.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The perimeter of a rectangle is 100 and its diagonal has length x. What is the area of this rectangle.

2. Relevant equations
    i got l + w = 50 (from the perimeter of the rectangle)
    and x2= l2 + w2 (find the diagonal of the right triangle)

i found this on the internet: 2lw= (l+w)2 - (l2+w2)
    and got 2500 - x2 , then they divide it by 2 to get the area of the rectangle.

so basically they put : 2(Area) = (perimeter)2 - [this is what i dont get]
    and why they square the perimeter?

2 rectangle = 4 triangle = 1 kite ? i dont think theres any connection w/ the kite : A = (1/2)d1*d2

P/s: english is not my language, so if u guys dont understand something just say sth and ill try to explain. sry

btw this is the link of all the questions: http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/practice1012p/html1012p/10pcontest/02c10p.html#10pc#3 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

We are told that the perimeter is 100
    This is [itex]2(l+w)=100[/itex] since there are 2 lengths and 2 widths in the rectangle.

So we divide by 2 and now have [itex]l+w=50[/itex]

We also have [itex]l^2+w^2=x^2[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

and [itex]lw=A[/itex] for the Area

Now, the result you saw [itex]2lw=(l+w)^2-(l^2+w^2)[/itex] can easily be proven by expanding [itex](l+w)^2[/itex] and don't think about squaring the perimeter as a geometric thing (don't try picture what shape its creating) just square the number 50 since from before [itex]l+w=50[/itex] by squaring both sides [itex](l+w)^2=2500[/itex]

And the [itex]l^2+w^2[/itex] we already showed is equal to [itex]x^2[/itex].

So substitute everything into the equation:

[tex]2A=(50)^2-(x^2)[/tex]

[tex]A=1250-\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

Really, all you needed to do in this problem was find out all the relationships you can to involve x (such as pythagoras' theorem, the area of a rectangle, and the perimeter) and then the tricky bit was to notice that the area [itex]lw[/itex] can be related to the perimeter [itex]l+w[/itex] in such a way that if we square the perimeter, expanding it gives us the other pythagorean relationship [itex]l^2+w^2[/itex] and the area [itex]lw[/itex]. Then if you found the correct formula, all you need to do is substitute all your relationships into it.

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex](l+ w)^2= l^2+ 2lw+ w^2[/itex]. l+ w= 50 and [itex]l^2+ w^2= x^2[/itex] so (50)^2= x^2+ 2A That gives the same formula Mentallic gave.

5. Jan 10, 2010 #4
    thank you guys, it really does help me out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook