Help Solving Automobile and Train Problems

In summary, the conversation revolved around two physics problems involving moving objects. The first problem addressed the time it takes for a car traveling at 90 km/h to pass a train traveling at 80 km/h in the same direction, as well as the distance traveled by the car in that time. The second problem involved an unmarked police car traveling at a constant speed of 125 km/h being passed by a speeder traveling at 140 km/h, and determining how much time passes before the police car catches up to the speeder, assuming the police car has an acceleration of 2.50 m/s². The
fphysicsclass

Homework Statement

I've already done 10 probs, but I can't figure these out. Please help if you can.

1. An automobile traveling v = 90 km/h overtakes a L = 1.00 km long train traveling in the same direction on a track parallel to the road. If the train's speed is 80 km/h, how long does it take the car to pass it, and how far will the car have traveled in this time?
x min
x km
What are the results if the car and train are traveling in opposite directions?
x s
x km

2. An unmarked police car traveling a constant 125 km/h is passed by a speeder traveling 140 km/h. Precisely 1.00 s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 2.50 m/s2, how much time passes after the speeder passes before the police car overtakes the speeder (assumed moving at constant speed)?

x s

Homework Equations

dx=v(0)t+(1/2)at^2
v^2=v(0)^2+2adx

The Attempt at a Solution

1. dx=10t? Tried making it into a rel. vel. problem.

2. (38.9)^2=(34.7)^2+2(2.5)dx ?? I've been working on this one for an hour...

Physics news on Phys.org

Can anyone help?

For the first one, I would try thinking about the difference in speed between the two moving objects. Ask yourself how fast the car is moving relative to the train. Then, given that information, how long does it take to travel that 1 km length of the train. You will then have a time to use to figure out the distance traveled on the road.

1. Both are moving. The train is leading by 1.0km at time t=0. You have to find the time for both the train front fender and car front fender at same position/displacement.
2. The same procedure except one body is accelerating and the other at constant velocity.

Sketch graph of position vs time for question 1 and velocity vs time for question 2 is very helpful.
ISEC (Isaac Newton)- indentify, sketch, execute and finally check

Last edited:

I did draw the graphs before, and they are accurate. I'm just bad at using equations. I'll let you know in less than 5 mins. what I tried and got on the first one.

Also, it wouldn't make sense for the first one to draw a v-t graph because v doesn't tell you anything about position. Should I instead drawn a x-t graph?

ehh. I can't even figure out the first one. So, I have 90t + 1 = ?

I don't know where to go from there. Oh wait. 90t+1 = delta x?

I don't know. Can anyone help? this is frustrating, and I almost have to turn it in online. I tried graphing the x-t graph, and can't make sense of it. I understand that one must equate 2 equations - that is how you find the intersection. But my answer is always wrong. I just want some help. Thanks.

Ok, ask yourself this:

If you were standing on the train, how fast would you perceive the car to be moving?

If you take the perceived speed and use it to figure out how long it takes for the car to travel 1km (the length of the train), what number do you get? It's just as simple as t=d/v.

So then you would have the amount of time that it takes the car to pass the train and can use that and the specified speed to figure out the actual distance the car traveled.

1. x-t diagram. At t=0, train at position 1km, and car at position 0.
Then the position increases depends on the speed. Both at constant speed, thus a straight lines. One start from x=1km and the other from origin. Where the lines intersect is the place they meet(both front ends).

2. Drawing a parabolic curve is a bit hard especially with my poor free-hand drawing. But if you draw a v-t, a constant velocity is a straight line parallel to x-axis and constant acceleration a slanting one with the gradient equal to the acceleration. The distance move is just v times t. From a constant velocity is just a rectangular area and for constant acceleration it is a triangular area.

Last edited:

For 1, I did 10t = 1; t = 6 min. Does anyone (dis)agree, and can help with 1 and/or 2?

azizlwl - I will try your method, and I think I messed up in drawing the x-t graph for a = c. I drew the v as exponentially increasing. I got it confused with the x-t graph. You know how it is, first day of AP Phys. A little lost. Haven't taken phys in 2 years. Will keep you updated.

Ok. So for 1, I got 6 min and 9 km. Now I need to do part b.

Also, I will be starting 2 after that.

Those are the answers I got for 1a. Just use a similar approach for 1b.

On #1, how should I start out on the opposite directions. I know that the train will be traveling @ -80 kmh, and the car, +90 kmh. I don't know what the relative velocity of the train would be. Maybe -170 kmh?

I probably should find the rel. vel. of the car. If I did, would I be right to use 170t = 1 to solve for time? I got 0.02 s.

fphysicsclass said:
I probably should find the rel. vel. of the car. If I did, would I be right to use 170t = 1 to solve for time? I got 0.02 s.

Yes.

Well, yes to the equation, but not sure where the 0.02s is coming from.

170 is in kmh. I converted my answer to seconds because that is what the answer form asked for. I made sure to include it in my original post.

Which actually should be moved over a couple decimal places and be 21.2 seconds.

May want to double-check that conversion. 0.02 s is an awfully quick kilometer :P

Haha, yes it is. That is why I did double check.

I submitted my answer for that one, and got it right. It was 21.2 seconds, and 0.53 km.

Now for #2!

Thank God you can type in "1/170 hours to seconds" and get a perfect conversion.

I'm lost again. I was trying to find distance when I should have been trying to find time. Any tips for starting number 2? I already drew a v-t graph, making sure my constant a was a straight line.

I started number 2 using knowledge from 1. I set 2 displacement equations equal to each other. Was I wrong to say that: (1/2)(2.5)(t^2)=4.2t ?? I will add a second at the end to make up for the lost time.

And I ended up on 2 getting 4.36 seconds. Did anyone else get this?

From the graphs,

1a. Taking frontend as a point for intersection
1+80t=90t
1b. Taking backend of the train as origin and the point for intersection,
80t=-90t+1

2. 140/3600(t+1)=123/3600(t+1) + 0.5at2

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the optimal speed for a train to travel to its destination?

To determine the optimal speed for a train, you will need to know the distance between the starting point and the destination, as well as the time it takes for the train to travel that distance. The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time. Therefore, the optimal speed for the train would be the distance between the starting point and the destination, divided by the time it takes for the train to travel that distance.

2. How can I calculate the fuel efficiency of a car?

The fuel efficiency of a car can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the amount of fuel consumed. This will give you the distance in miles per gallon (MPG) or kilometers per liter (km/L). To get an accurate measurement, it is recommended to fill up the tank and record the mileage, then refill the tank and record the mileage again after a certain distance has been traveled. The difference in mileage divided by the amount of fuel consumed will give you the fuel efficiency.

3. What factors affect the braking distance of a vehicle?

The braking distance of a vehicle is affected by several factors such as speed, weight, road conditions, and weather. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the longer the braking distance will be. The weight of the vehicle also plays a role, as heavier vehicles require more force to stop. Road conditions, such as wet or icy roads, can increase the braking distance, as well as weather conditions such as rain or snow.

4. How do I calculate the stopping distance of a train?

To calculate the stopping distance of a train, you will need to consider the reaction time of the train operator, the braking distance, and the distance required for the train to come to a complete stop. The formula for stopping distance is reaction distance + braking distance + stopping distance. The reaction distance is the distance the train will travel before the operator applies the brakes, which is typically 1 second. The braking distance can be calculated using the formula: (initial velocity)^2 / 2 * deceleration rate. The stopping distance can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the train by the time it takes to come to a complete stop.

5. How can I improve the fuel efficiency of my car?

To improve the fuel efficiency of your car, you can try the following tips: maintain proper tire pressure, avoid rapid acceleration and braking, remove excess weight from the car, use cruise control on highways, and limit the use of air conditioning. It is also recommended to get regular tune-ups and use the recommended grade of motor oil for your car.