1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me with this Spring Question?

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    Two large crates, with masses 640 kg and 490 kg, are connected by a stiff, massless spring(k= 8.1 kN/m) and propelled along an essentially frictionless, level factory floor by a force applied horizontally to the more massive crate. If the spring compresses 5.1 cm from its equilibrium length, what is the applied force?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What force does the spring exert? What forces act on the smaller mass? What's its acceleration?
  4. Sep 30, 2007 #3
    Determine acceleration of the two masses (Applied force/Total mass). This will be the acceleration of each mass. Consider the smaller mass alone. Force acting on it is due to the restoring force of the spring, which is equal to kx. Write equation : Force = mass x acceleration for the smaller mass (acceleration a is in terms of the applied force F). Solve for F.
  5. Sep 30, 2007 #4
    thanks man i got the answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?