Can anyone help me with thisBernoulli qn?

• Thread starter gunblaze
  • Start date
In summary: The increase in kinetic energy of water comes from the potential energy stored as water pressure. Why would its energy be determined by the pressure anywhere else?The pressure at position 1 is 500KPa in excess of atmospheric pressure. This causes the water at position 1 to have a greater velocity than the water at position 2.
gunblaze
A water tank springs a leak at a certain position called position 2. The pressure at position 2 is equal to the atmospheric pressure(100KPa) and at another position called position 1 the pressure is 500KPa in excess of atmospheric pressure. What is the velocity of escape of the water at the leak? It may be assumed that the velocity of the water at the leak is much greater than the velocity at position 1. (density of water=1000Kgm-3)

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
gunblaze said:
A water tank springs a leak at a certain position called position 2. The pressure at position 2 is equal to the atmospheric pressure(100KPa) and at another position called position 1 the pressure is 500KPa in excess of atmospheric pressure. What is the velocity of escape of the water at the leak? It may be assumed that the velocity of the water at the leak is much greater than the velocity at position 1. (density of water=1000Kgm-3)
If the pressure at position 2 is the same as the atmospheric pressure, an opening at position 2 will not produce a leak. The velocity of the water at the leak is 0. Better check the question again.

AM

no.. the total pressure at position 2 is 200KPa. The pressure at position 2, neglecting air pressure, is 100KPa. note: the total pressure at postion 1 is 500KPa.

what i want to know is that by having 2 unknown velocity, v at position 1 and v at position 2, how can i find the velocity at position 2?

gunblaze said:
what i want to know is that by having 2 unknown velocity, v at position 1 and v at position 2, how can i find the velocity at position 2?
If the tank is large, the velocity at position 2 is independent of the pressure at position 1. The speed of the water at position 2 is determined by Bernouilli's equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho v_0^2 + P_0 = \frac{1}{2}\rho v'^2 + P'[/tex]

Where P_0 = 200 KPa, v_0 = 0; P' = 100 KPa

Just solve for v'.

AM

[note: I changed the 1 and 2 subscripts to avoid confusion with the positions]

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
If the tank is large, the velocity at position 2 is independent of the pressure at position 1.

erm.. May i know why?

thx!

gunblaze said:
erm.. May i know why?

thx!
Because the velocity at position 2 is determined by the pressure at position 2. Pressure is energy per unit volume. The increase in kinetic energy of water comes from the potential energy stored as water pressure. Why would its energy be determined by the pressure anywhere else?

AM

1. What is a Bernoulli qn?

A Bernoulli qn, also known as a Bernoulli equation, is a mathematical equation named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli. It describes the relationship between fluid pressure, velocity, and elevation along a streamline.

2. What is the significance of the Bernoulli qn?

The Bernoulli qn is used in fluid mechanics to analyze the motion of fluids, such as air or water. It is also used in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and thermodynamics to understand the behavior of fluids.

3. How is the Bernoulli qn derived?

The Bernoulli qn is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. It combines the kinetic energy and potential energy of a fluid to describe its total energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli qn?

The Bernoulli qn has many practical applications, including calculating the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, determining the flow rate of fluids through pipes, and analyzing the behavior of fluids in turbines and pumps.

5. Are there any limitations to the Bernoulli qn?

While the Bernoulli qn is a useful tool for understanding fluid mechanics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and irrotational, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not account for factors such as friction and viscosity.