Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help on it?

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Can anyone help on it???

hi,

is any particle can travel faster than light ?? . somewhere i heard meuons,photons can travel. is it so??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have, actually, two questions here. Certainly, photons travel at the speed of light, not faster. Photons are light. Muon's, I believe, according to some theories have zero rest mass and so could travel at the speed of light, not faster. Relativity says that no object can go from below the speed of light to greater than the speed of light but leaves open the possibility of "tachyons" that always travel faster than light. No such particles have ever been observed.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, they can't.

Again, whenever you "hear" something like this, REMEMBER the source and then make the exact citation here. There's no way of telling if (i) you heard the wrong information (ii) you interpret the information wrongly (iii) or there's just some bad physics going on.

Zz.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. muons do have a mass, larger than electrons, in fact. I think you may be thinking of neutrinos.

Zz.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

There's also the ever-vexing issue of group velocity. While individual photons always travel at c, the transmission of a light signal through a refractive medium can be delayed enough to allow other particles to overtake it (see the Cherenkov Radiation thread below).

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6
    Ken Salem wrote a book ("2.8 Angstroms") that theorizes the speed of light is changing and is relative to our position in the universe. So I suppose using this theory, particles could travel faster than the speed of light according to us.

It is an interesting book -- a little far fetched, but very interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?