1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help provide an explanation?

1. Jun 19, 2005 #1
    Qn1: When paddling a canoe, one can attain critical speed with relatively little effort, but to go faster beyond this critical speed requires more effort. Why?

Qn2: Why do jet planes usually fly at altitudes above 10000m although it takes a lot of fuel to climb to that height?

Thx..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2005 #2
    What are your thoughts?

Hint: Friction

4. Jun 19, 2005 #3
    yup.. around there. Friction and the drag force

5. Jun 19, 2005 #4
    but how..? when u fly higher, u get lesser friction..?

6. Jun 19, 2005 #5
    Right. I may have the number wrong but when flying at the altitudes planes do on long flights (around 30,000 feet) the air is about 20% as thick as it is at sea level.

7. Jun 19, 2005 #6
    u mean air is less dense at high altitudes, therefore, by using F=pAv^2, we get a lesser drag force?

8. Jun 19, 2005 #7
    Yeah, the air density is much less up there. This also affects the plane's lift though.

Can you think of anything for the canoe?

9. Jun 19, 2005 #8
    no.. that's really what i don't know

10. Jun 19, 2005 #9
    Look at the force equation you gave above for drag resistance. Although that is the application for air, it is a simliar principle for fluids. What do you notice as velocity increases?

11. Jun 19, 2005 #10
    oOO.. I see. so as the speed of the canoe increases, the larger the drag force is on the canoe.

Whao, thx guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?