Can anyone help provide an explanation?

• Thread starter gunblaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, when paddling a canoe, one can reach critical speed with relatively little effort. However, in order to go faster than this critical speed, more effort is needed. This is because as the speed of the canoe increases, the drag force on the canoe also increases. Similarly, jet planes fly at high altitudes above 10000m because the air density is much less up there, resulting in less drag force on the plane. This also affects the plane's lift.
gunblaze
Qn1: When paddling a canoe, one can attain critical speed with relatively little effort, but to go faster beyond this critical speed requires more effort. Why?

Qn2: Why do jet planes usually fly at altitudes above 10000m although it takes a lot of fuel to climb to that height?

Thx..

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts?

Hint: Friction

yup.. around there. Friction and the drag force

but how..? when u fly higher, u get lesser friction..?

Right. I may have the number wrong but when flying at the altitudes planes do on long flights (around 30,000 feet) the air is about 20% as thick as it is at sea level.

u mean air is less dense at high altitudes, therefore, by using F=pAv^2, we get a lesser drag force?

Yeah, the air density is much less up there. This also affects the plane's lift though.

Can you think of anything for the canoe?

no.. that's really what i don't know

Look at the force equation you gave above for drag resistance. Although that is the application for air, it is a simliar principle for fluids. What do you notice as velocity increases?

oOO.. I see. so as the speed of the canoe increases, the larger the drag force is on the canoe.

Whao, thanks guys!

What does "provide an explanation" mean?

Providing an explanation means to give a detailed and clear understanding of a concept or idea. It involves breaking down complex information into simpler terms and providing evidence or reasoning to support it.

Why is it important to provide an explanation in science?

In science, providing an explanation is crucial because it allows others to understand the reasoning behind a particular phenomenon or theory. It also allows for the replication and further testing of the findings, which is essential for the advancement of scientific knowledge.

How can I effectively provide an explanation?

To effectively provide an explanation, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the topic and to use clear and concise language. Visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, can also help to enhance the explanation. It is also important to provide evidence or data to support the explanation.

What should I do if I don't understand an explanation given to me?

If you don't understand an explanation, it is important to ask questions and seek clarification from the person providing the explanation. You can also do further research on the topic to gain a better understanding.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when providing an explanation?

When providing an explanation, it is important to avoid using jargon or technical terms that may be unfamiliar to the audience. It is also important to avoid making assumptions about the audience's prior knowledge. Additionally, it is important to back up the explanation with evidence and to avoid personal biases or opinions.