Can anyone learn advanced maths? (Researches)

• Thread starter IjustlikeMaths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    advanced
  • Featured
In summary, the conversation discusses whether anyone can learn math to an advanced level and if genetic predisposition affects one's ability to learn math. The general consensus is that while anyone can become good at math with hard work and interest, reaching a level comparable to a Fields Medal winner requires exceptional talent. There is also mention of individual differences in the 'modules' of the brain and the importance of patience and abstraction level in learning math.
Many people who have contributed comments here, including me, have reached their own limits in spite of years of effort. I know people who easily went beyond my abilities. I have attributed that to a difference in raw intelligence. When someone says that it would just take me more time I have to remind them that, at my age, time will eventually run out.

I have known for a long time that I have always had a weaker memory than most people. I often have to derive or be reminded of facts that others can remember without help. That translates into a serious handicap in learning. I believe that this fact is undeniable in spite of what anyone else thinks.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
FactChecker said:
Many people who have contributed comments here, including me, have reached their own limits in spite of years of effort. I know people who easily went beyond my abilities. I have attributed that to a difference in raw intelligence. When someone says that it would just take me more time I have to remind them that, at my age, time will eventually run out.

I have known for a long time that I have a weaker memory than most people. I often have to derive or be reminded of facts that others can remember without help. That translates into a serious handicap in learning. I believe that this fact is undeniable in spite of what anyone else thinks.
That is an important point.Memory is essential in building on concepts, if you can’t remember the details of concept one you have to back track before you can proceed to concept two

why not take it further?

What about special needs kids? Kids with learning difficulties? This has been touched on, what did they do wrong? What did their parents do wrong?

Did the kids not apply themselves? Did they need to go on a time management course?Some of those kids will leave school at 16 with a basic understanding of maths and English and nothing much else. Flawed as it is the IQ bell curve tells a story, genes don’t give us calculus but they do build brains.No one is saying the average Joe cannot do well in life (and I am speaking from a position of lofty mediocrity) or assimilate some scientific mathematical knowledge but the OP asked,

“Can anyone get good at maths to an advanced level”(University)That was part of the main question.He may well of asked can anyone play football to high level (spherical ones – I am British)Can anyone make the premiership with proper encouragement, training, diet, mentoring, best facilities, nurturing, loving parents, a stable home life and plenty of time?The answer to that question is not everyone can play football well enough to play for the pub team let alone be a professional or get to the premiership.Why should maths be different?

Likes FactChecker
Memory is a strange thing. Not always can I understand why certain facts and ideas stick to my mind immediately after the first reading and endure for a long time, while others keep eluding me after many repetitions.
But I'm sure that memory management (if not some kind of innate "raw memory") can be learned and improved as well. To some unknown extent.
And, by the way,
Terrell said:
When a person does math beyond their interest level that is when they feel they are working too hard
interests change as well. History was one of the least appealing subjects to me at school, and a history textbook before bed was a sure-fire method for me to quickly go to sleep. But I'm starting to pick up my interest in history now, as a grown-up, and finding myself being fascinated by subject, while being able to memorize historical facts (and even the dreaded "dates") better.

IMHO, people who try to blame a single factor for a lack of mathematical ability are just trying to oversimplify a complicated subject. They are doing it without scientific proof and they are ignoring other evidence. This thread is very unscientific.

Likes PeroK, StoneTemplePython and Terrell
FactChecker said:
IMHO, people who try to blame a single factor for a lack of mathematical ability are just trying to oversimplify a complicated subject. They are doing it without scientific proof and they are ignoring other evidence. This thread is very unscientific.

No one is looking at single factors we are putting forward our own experience of learning compared to others and some tutors have given their experience also. It is not a scientific paper but it is evidence.

Likes FactChecker and symbolipoint
pinball1970 said:
No one is looking at single factors we are putting forward our own experience of learning compared to others and some tutors have given their experience also. It is not a scientific paper but it is evidence.
Yes. I was too harsh.

Likes pinball1970
Drakkith said:
The impression I get from them is that they are giving a substantial amount of effort for very little progress. Is that a better way to word it?

This is also important. Same topic say calculus same class same teacher. Some kids 'get it' others don't get it straight away others don't get it. All things being equal the only other variable is ability and you find that at every level. Some kids would take too long to get it you would need twice the amount of time or x3 or more. Same applies to trig algebra long division addition with plastic money and pretend shop. Some kids get it.

symbolipoint said:
Is this topic making any progress yet?

Can anyone learn advanced maths? (Researches)

I have no "researches" to refer to. I'd say "advanced Mathematics" might be anything beyond the range of typical university Calculus 1, 2, 3. Below this range of courses may be Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, College Algebra (part of "Pre-Calculus"). I'll take Drakkith's statement on it (Can anyone learn advanced maths?). His statement is based on his own learning, and on teaching or tutoring experience. One should try teaching or tutoring, to be more familiar what that is like.

I had not intended on continuing this thread, but let me make myself clear.

My statements on this thread -- specifically, that any student who do not have a specific mental or learning disability can learn the foundations of advanced mathematics (which I define as pre-calculus, algebra, and trigonometry) provided that they receive a strong foundation of math education at an early age -- is based on my own learning, the learning experiences of students I've witnessed, and my experiences in both teaching and tutoring.

What I have argued against is the notion (expressed by some in this thread) that the capability to learn mathematics is a hereditary or genetic trait that only some people possess, and no amount of education will enable such a student to learn mathematics.