1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone recommend a good calculus review?

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    I am taking statistical mechanics this quarter, using the textbook Thermodynamics and an intro to thermostatics by Callen.

The math in the derivations is from calculus, which I had 4 years ago and didn't really put all that much effort into.

Consequently, I need a solid review of some basic mathematics (and by basic I mean calculus :-p)

For instance, I have no clue how to take the derivative of a sum, containing terms such as (ln(1-e^-Bx))
    F = Kb T sum(ln(1-e^-Bhw))
    where B is the boltzman factor, h is h bar and w is omega (the frequency).
    then I have no clue how to go from there to Cv = dU/dT
    U = d/dB(BF)

a grim situation indeed

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2
  4. Feb 1, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's weird...It means you're using another (certainly newer) version of Callen. :eek: The one i knew didn't have statistical mechanics.It is a very good book on thermodynamics (in its first edition it was the first to give a reasonable treatment of neogibbsian formulation of (equilibrium) thermodynamics) and i strongly recconmend you study it...
    As for calculus,i'd still go for Hilbert & Courant and Arfken...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?